Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linear Guide too tight

Posted by JoergS5 
Linear Guide too tight
July 17, 2018 01:57PM
I know I should not buy linear guides from the far east - but I did it again.

Now I have a MGR15 linear guide which is much too tight (two ball rows in the block). Has anyone an idea what I can do? The ball diameters are 3.14 mm. I bought two guides and 4 blocks. One of the guides is ok, so the second one is too big. Is it possible to hone or grind the guide or widen the block?
Re: Linear Guide too tight
July 18, 2018 03:56AM
Can you see the rows of balls? Is there a small gap between the balls or are they tightely packed? It might help to remove one ball/row.
July 18, 2018 11:18AM
There are two rows with big gap on each side. One row presses at the upper corner, the other in the middle. They work together unfortunately.

Maybe I try buying smaller balls. I double checked, they are 3.18 = 1/8 inch. I have a supplier, who offers 3.175 mm balls with good precision, G10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2018 11:19AM by JoergS5.
August 01, 2018 10:32PM
Try doing a burn in, run the carriages over the guides for a while and they might end up running more smoothly after the first few hours.
August 02, 2018 08:35AM
Thank you for the idea. I thought about something similar: running the carriages with a lapping / honing paste. After the correct preload is reached, exchange the balls and clean all.

The guide is manufactured asymetrical: on one side it looks ok, on the other the form is different. I have nothing to loose...

P.S. I will not burn it with the carriage, as it will destroy it when using paste. I will build a construction for moving the balls over the guide to burn in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 09:04AM by JoergS5.
August 02, 2018 10:59PM
By burn in I just meant put it to use, not with abrasive paste. Let any bumps/high spots wear in. That being said I doubt it would be a good idea if there is a defect to the point you can see it with the naked eye. Not sure if that's recoverable.
August 07, 2018 04:23PM
I will stop investigating now and take it the expense as experience... I bought some THK linear guides now and am very satisfied.

I will build some jigs for woodworking, there I have usage for stuck linear guides (e. g. for a cross table).

Thanks for your help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login