Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Double Sized Mendel?

Posted by CyberPatriot 
Double Sized Mendel?
May 09, 2011 09:38PM
I'm in the process of building my first Prusa Mendel, YAY! As I'm assembling it I continue to think of what can be done. I was wondering if anybody has doubled the size of any mendel. It seems like it would be easy to do, but since I don't even have mine finished I didn't know if there is a downside or re-engineering I would have to do. If anybody has attempted or done this or if you have any ideas I would like to know. I'm going to be ok for now printing smaller parts, but I can easily see that I will want to get bigger and bigger parts.
Re: Double Sized Mendel?
May 10, 2011 02:12AM
I gather Prusa's brother is making (or has made) a mega Mendel: [www.flickr.com] You may want to try and get in touch with them.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
May 10, 2011 06:35AM
I will have to look him up.

Gary I'm using your instructions to assemble my mendel. Great work. I really like how you added the build of materials to the front of the instructions as well. One stop shop.
May 11, 2011 05:51AM
Glad the instructions are working out for you! Of course credit is due to Kliment for the text from the wiki smiling smiley

By the way, I came across this on the wiki just now, perhaps it's of interest: [reprap.org]

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
May 11, 2011 07:07AM
I extend my thanks to Kliment as well! Just some great work. Makes it easy for a monkey like me to put a 3D printer together.

Sweet that is awesome wiki for the megamendel! 3D printing is going to get me in so much trouble with my wife.
January 17, 2012 08:21PM
I built my prusa mendel larger with no ill effects.

The only down-side is that the MK2 heated bed I just bought is only 212mm sq.
February 01, 2012 02:55AM
Aplavins, how much larger? I'm doing the same, but not double by any means. I just put some of it up on thingiverse:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Take a look at it. I get a little nudge here and there to just go to a mendel max, but while I love that machine,
it's not as much fun to just play it safe, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 02:57AM by Skypuppet.
January 27, 2014 11:46PM
I've been doing a lot of research on building a larger size printer and I was wondering if I use the repetier/repetier-host combo, where do I input the changed dimensions in the firmware (or do you)? I've downloaded the firmware and I've started going through it, but I haven't found anything significant yet. Is it something you put into the host software then just rely on axis stops on the printer?

Also, if you're looking for a larger heated bed I found this one on reprap.me. It's overall size is 214 x 314 and printable area is 200 x 300. It's a MK3 bed design and can run 12V or 24V. I just ordered one, fingers crossed it works as well as the normal ones.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login