Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan needed at all if not printing with PLA

Posted by JacksonBenz 
Fan needed at all if not printing with PLA
September 23, 2018 08:46AM
Hi guys,

a simple question: do i need a fan to cool the 3D parts if i am not printing with PLA? And which filaments require active cooling?

Jackson
Re: Fan needed at all if not printing with PLA
September 23, 2018 10:31AM
I mostly print ABS, and occasionally TPU. Neither requires a print cooling fan. I've printed PETG and it doesn't seem to need a cooling fan, either, though someone with more experience with it may suggest otherwise. On rare occasions when I print PLA I bolt a blower onto the extruder carriage. I don't have much use or respect for PLA.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 23, 2018 11:19AM
Thanks for response.

the_digital_dentist
On rare occasions when I print PLA I bolt a blower onto the extruder carriage. I don't have much use or respect for PLA.

Would it help if I print such bolt with a much lower PLA temperature? 180°C for example.
September 23, 2018 02:52PM
At 180C I find the layer adhesion inadequate, the lowest I have printed PLA was 192C. I now print PLA at 200C.

I find that when you use a fan blowing on the model you can bridge better for longer distances without sagging.

When I use a fan blowing on the model I can print faster by using a hotter hot-end and cool the PLA so I do not get the ugly melted look on the layers.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
September 24, 2018 06:57PM
My last few prints with PLA at 205 and no part cooling.
September 25, 2018 07:15AM
Not all PLA prints need a blower. The print cooler is used to cool and solidify the PLA mostly in small area layers where the extruder would come around and deposit more plastic before the previous layer cooled (without a blower). For example, if you're printing a 20 mm "calibration cube" (maybe the dumbest thing to come out of the 3D printing community since 4 corner bed "leveling"), the corners will curl and as you go up in Z, and the whole thing will start to turn blobby.

I believe bridges can be printed with less sag with a blower than without.

Prints that have large area layers will print fine without a print blower. How large depends on how fast you print.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 25, 2018 08:01AM
the_digital_dentist
I believe bridges can be printed with less sag with a blower than without.

Prints that have large area layers will print fine without a print blower. How large depends on how fast you print.

If you have a bridge it is better if you have the model fan on. The longer you bridge the more I find it is better to have a cooling fan.
The longest bridge I have successful completed is only 100mm with almost no sagging.

Try this one for an example Das Bridges

With "Minimal Layer Time sec()" enabled the print speed drops constant to the print layer time, this then increases the model Print time.
I prefer to enable the cooling fans to speed up the printing time, and decrease the ends curling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2018 08:07AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login