Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament throat opinion wanted (full metal vs. PTFE lined)

Posted by MindRealm 
Filament throat opinion wanted (full metal vs. PTFE lined)
February 04, 2019 07:54PM
Hello everyone. Your experience/opinion is wanted!

Please let me know whether you prefer using filament throats with PTFE liners or without, and why. Which is more reliable, less likely to jam, etc.

I own a few different 3D printers in various configurations and just looking to improve my 'hot rod' printer - not currently having any problems.

Thanks for your feedback, opinions, experience and photos!

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Re: Filament throat opinion wanted (full metal vs. PTFE lined)
February 04, 2019 10:06PM
The teflon liner is fine, except when it goes into the heater block, in which case it will break down due to the high temperature in the heater block and cause jams instead of preventing them.

All metal is the way to go, especially if you want to print anything like ABS, PC, nylon, etc.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 04, 2019 10:14PM
the_digital_dentist
The teflon liner is fine, except when it goes into the heater block, in which case it will break down due to the high temperature in the heater block and cause jams instead of preventing them.

All metal is the way to go, especially if you want to print anything like ABS, PC, nylon, etc.

Great info. Thanks for your response!

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

February 05, 2019 01:44AM
Teflon liner works great if you only print PLA. It can tolerate much more retraction than an all metal hot end so it is less prone to jamming. For any other filament i advise an all metal hot end.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 05, 2019 09:48AM
dc42
Teflon liner works great if you only print PLA. It can tolerate much more retraction than an all metal hot end so it is less prone to jamming. For any other filament i advise an all metal hot end.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it!

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

May 06, 2019 09:41AM
dc42

I agree, purely for PLA you could print with the teflon-lined throat. I have one and ordered another one because I love it so much. Maybe in time it will wear down, but being all new it's a treat to print with. Yesterday I ordere a complete set of 2040 extrusions of V-slot and got a bunch of items with the buy such as an all-metal E3D hotend, smooth rods and leadscrews. I'm pretty curious how the all-metal performs. Might put that on the new printer I'm building smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login