Sourcing specific bearings?
May 26, 2019 05:18AM
Okay, so I received an old Roland DXY 1100 pen plotter.

Couldn't get it to work since the ports are all incompatible with my little Macbook Pro so I decided to tear the innards out and put in a CNC V3 shield with GRBL. This works, the only thing I cannot find out is the Y-axis endstop. But when I was looking where that Y-axis endstop is located I discovered that one of the hidden bearings is broken. It's actually the delrin wheel on the bearing that has snapped and not the bearing itself.

This is the bearing that has the broken Delrin wheel:

Now the only replacement I could find cost around €15 euros excluded shipping cost. I think this is an absurd price for a small M4 bearing and am looking for alternatives. I can 3D-print a small wheel but this will never be as accurate as a machined delrin wheel. So I am thinking, maybe there is another way to source this bearing with the wheel. Since I do not own a lathe it's impossible for me to make this wheel.

It's this model:
[www.atpm.it]

Eventually I would like to convert the machine back to it's original shape with original electronics but the power supply is missing, that's why I got it for free. But for now I think it's interesting to try and make this work with GRBL and also try to program in the toolchanger etcetera.

If anyone knows how I can find the bearing alternatively, let me know, maybe someone here is a machinist and can help me out? The wheel is captive on the bearing but I'm pretty sure it should be possible to make a 'slide-on' delrin wheel that I can fix in place with cyanoacrylate.

If anyone can make me a couple of these wheels (so I have a few spares in the future) let me know what the cost would be. I can supply measurements on demand and make a universal CAD/3D drawing of the wheel if necessary.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
VDX
Re: Sourcing specific bearings?
May 26, 2019 06:48AM
... I have a bunch of bearings with nylon around - give me the exact sizes ... could be, there is something comparable (or I can lathe it to fit) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 26, 2019 07:31AM
VDX
... I have a bunch of bearings with nylon around - give me the exact sizes ... could be, there is something comparable (or I can lathe it to fit) ...

Awesome, I'll make a compatible 3D model of it to the greatest detail I could possibly do. The thing is, the bearing has it's center ring that sticks out of the center on both sides. So I thought it would be easier to find only a delrin wheel for example. Or maybe a small filler ring would do. Anyway, I'll make a model and you can let me know if it's possible or not smiling smiley

VDX
May 26, 2019 01:50PM
... here's an old post with an image of some of the nylon-coated bearings - have different types with different center rings and bore diameters - [reprap.org]

And here another with even more other types too -

[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2019 01:51PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

May 26, 2019 02:43PM
VDX
... here's an old post with an image of some of the nylon-coated bearings - have different types with different center rings and bore diameters - [reprap.org]

And here another with even more other types too -

[reprap.org]

Would this be of any use? (I left out the dimensions and the chamfer on the edge seems to be at 45º while it might actually be a bit steeper).

STEP file:
roland_DXY1100_bearing.stp

VDX
May 26, 2019 04:51PM
... it's more interesting, what's needed for the rail - diameters, width, contact surfaces, ...

Can you measure and sketch the cross-section of the bearing and rail(s)?

Viktor
--------

May 27, 2019 04:11AM
VDX
... it's more interesting, what's needed for the rail - diameters, width, contact surfaces, ...

Can you measure and sketch the cross-section of the bearing and rail(s)?

I'll try as best as I can, however, I was not able to remove the endcaps of the rail so it's going to be hard to measure the inset of the groove that the bearing rolls in. I'll try though!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login