Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yet Another Heated Bed Discussion

Posted by minor59er 
Yet Another Heated Bed Discussion
July 22, 2019 11:40PM
Hi All,

I am looking to build another printer in the style of a coreXY (HBot maybe) and I thought I would start of looking at heated beds. I know there's a lot more to consider, but I thought I'd start here.

My thoughts on what would like from a heated bed are:
  • Removable print surface
  • Reasonable heat-up time
  • Bed size around 250x250

The Mk52 fullfills these requirements, but I want to know what other options I should consider

I have thought about a silicon heater attached to the bottom of an aluminium (presicion) plate. Or just use Mk3 heated bed with a glass top again.

If you have any suggestions or comments on what you have found that works for you, I'd like to hear about them.

Cheers.
Re: Yet Another Heated Bed Discussion
July 23, 2019 03:49AM
Silicon heater under a 5mm aluminum plate works fine for me for 8 years now. On top i usually clamp a PEI plate for ABS printing. If i were to modify that printer again i might replace the clamping with a magnetic setups, but otherwise it is perfect for me.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
July 23, 2019 06:47PM
Thanks for your reply Srek.

Couple of questions on your setup, what type of silicon heater did you use? (AC/DC) and how did you affix the silicon heater to the aluminium plate?
July 24, 2019 04:47AM
230VAC.The adhesive came with the heater, i would expect it to be 3M 9473 or similar.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login