Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament choice for brackets!

Posted by aamcle 
Filament choice for brackets!
September 03, 2019 03:57PM
After a brief but bruising encounter with the search engine I'm going to ask.

I'm looking at a build or to be more accurate a rebuild one of my printers.

I have the choice of printing the plastic components in PLA or PETg or even ABS which would be the better choice?

I prefer to avoid the ABS stench if I can and I am currently limited to about 240°c as the hot end has a PTFE liner.

I should like a heated enclosure to enable me to print some of the more exotic filaments and the rebuilt printer will have an e3d v6.

Thanks All.

Aamcle
Re: Filament choice for brackets!
September 03, 2019 06:43PM
You really need to design the machine from scratch to be enclosed....

ABS would be best as its has the highest melt temp, PETG next... I wouldn't build a printer in PLA at all
September 03, 2019 07:09PM
What kind of brackets do you want to print?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 03, 2019 11:33PM
What characteristics do these brackets have to have? PLA is more rigid and heavier than PLA, but has a lower melt point.
September 04, 2019 03:45AM
I have downloaded the STL's for the job and there are a range of parts, I thought I that I should print in ABS but really hoped for another option.

I'll move the printer to the garage, put it in a temporary enclosure and see if my hot end will stand up to the temperature.

Thanks All.

Aamcle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 03:57AM by aamcle.
September 04, 2019 07:31AM
What Hotend do you use? The Merlin is a PEEK/Teflon hotend and withstands ABS printing temperatures without any problems. Correctly cooled i printed PC at 265°C with it.
If the parts are small a real enclosure is not needed, a temporary cover (mylar foil works nicely) is all it needs. Even an old shipping box put over the printer can work as a temporary solution. As long as you have >50°C in the chamber it should work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 07:31AM by Srek.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
September 09, 2019 03:31AM
Srek.
It's a MK8 I should be able to manage ABS which is good.

Aamcle. smiling smiley
November 27, 2019 10:44AM
I can print easily small ABS objects on my Anet A8 (MK8 extruder). I use a bigger brim to prevent the warpage on the bed. If I print objects taller than 50mm I start to risk some thermal deformation (because near the heat bed it's like a closed chamber).
Also, I have two MOSFETs and I isolate the heat bed with two layers (one cotton and other with cork) so I can reach 100*C temps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login