Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How big can I go?

Posted by aamcle 
How big can I go?
September 13, 2019 03:09PM
How big can I go?

I know this is vague sorry, I looking at a box design (2020 + 2040 extrusion) with Ultimaker kinematics.

This one :- [cdn.thingiverse.com]

I would replace the top and bottom extrusions with 2040 for added rigidity, I'd probably add a second Z axis as well and use metal to replace plastic were I can.

Obviously building it bigger isn't that much on a problem BUT I've no idea how big I can go with 2020 and 2040.

I would value your thoughts.

Thanks All
Re: How big can I go?
September 13, 2019 09:23PM
"How big can I go?" is equal to how much money you got.
September 14, 2019 03:03AM
That would get me a build plate the size of a postage stamp! sad smiley

I'll rephrase the query, how big can I go using 2020 and 2040 extrusions for the cross members?

Atb.

Aamcle
September 14, 2019 04:27AM
The question is still lame.

you can stack the 2020 and bolt it together, almost infinitely..

The frame is not the issue. what ever linear system you use will have limits way before the frame.

Then there is of course time... If a 200x200x200 print takes 4 days, just imagine how long a 400x400x400 print will take? (hint 8 times as long)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2019 04:28AM by Dust.
September 14, 2019 05:11AM
aamcle
How big can I go?

I know this is vague sorry, I looking at a box design (2020 + 2040 extrusion) with Ultimaker kinematics.

This one :- [cdn.thingiverse.com]

I would replace the top and bottom extrusions with 2040 for added rigidity, I'd probably add a second Z axis as well and use metal to replace plastic were I can.

Obviously building it bigger isn't that much on a problem BUT I've no idea how big I can go with 2020 and 2040.

I would value your thoughts.

Thanks All

Although not using profiles, this gentleman managed to make it big ! So as you wrote "Obviously building it bigger isn't that much on a problem "
[reprap.org]

BUT ?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 15, 2019 04:51AM
Lame? Yes probably but then questions from the ignorant to expert often are.

As for stacking 2020, well the query was specific to the design I linked in all.

All I wanted to do was find out if I could make that printer bigger without any major changes to the extrusion sizes so I would not need to design a new set of parts.

Never mind ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2019 04:52AM by aamcle.
September 15, 2019 05:24AM
I wouldn't build it much larger than that with 2020, Since the movement is happening at the top you have a lot of mass accelerated at the end of a lever, the Z height of the frame. The longer the lever the sturdier the frame needs to be to not distort and vibrate from the movement. You could try to use cross braces to stabilize, personaly i would switch to 3030 and redesign the neccesary parts.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
September 15, 2019 09:42AM
Here's the situation: you want to build a big printer and you're already decided that 2020 t-slot is the material to use. You haven't decided anything else about the machine, not even how big it will be, and you've already decided that 2020 is the stuff to use. Your decision is based entirely on cost or you wouldn't be asking the questions you're asking. Think about what your printer will look like if every decision you have to make is going to be based on the cheapest material available. You're going to end up with the equivalent of a kit except that you will have spent a lot of time searching for all the cheapest parts you can find. If you buy a kit, someone has already done that work for you and selected the cheapest of the cheapest. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and buy a kit.

Let's say someone tells you that the biggest frame you can make with 2020 is 800 x 800 x 800 mm. Your next problem is going to be "what the cheapest way I can make a 650x650 bed?". Then you going to be asking "what's the cheapest way I can lift a 650 x 650 bed? What's the cheapest way I can heat a 650x650 bed to 100C?

You're working backwards. You don't let the cost of the frame material dictate the basic design parameters of the machine. You decide the basic design parameters and then start looking for parts that will work for a machine that size.

You want to build a big printer but you don't know how big the frame material should be. You know that larger cross section material is more rigid than smaller material, and you know that in the end you want the frame to be rigid. So you know that if you want it to work well, larger frame material is better than a smaller frame material. No one can tell you exactly which material is the perfect optimization of cost and rigidity. What's the cost difference between that smallest material and something larger that will give you confidence that the frame won't be a problem? Are you trying to solve a cost problem or a will-it-work problem?

When you don't know the optimal answer, ask yourself which choice will make you comfortable enough that you can move on to the next problem.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 16, 2019 03:25AM
This boils down to one thing: You can't "design" by asking basic questions on a forum.

How about choosing a known good build and just copy it ?
If you go through this forum, you will see that not one of the many projects initiated as you did, ever completed.
Spare your time, money or "You're entering a world of pain" (The Big Lebowski)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 12:08PM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
September 26, 2019 02:47PM
I'm going to push a known build out a bit but "bite the bullet" and put sides on it which should give me the stiffness In looking for.

It's a Ultimaker clone from Thingiverse, I'm interested in rather than a Core build because I believe motion system is better balanced but that is just based on a feeling and the idea that UM wouldn't use it if it didn't work.

I contacted Igus today and I should be able to use their Aluminium shafts and bearings to keep the weight down which would be an advantage smiling smiley

aamcle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login