Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nema 17HS13-0404S Motor?

Posted by felystar 
Nema 17HS13-0404S Motor?
April 25, 2021 04:10PM
Hello,

I bought a set of 4 Nema 17 17HS13-0404S motors when I was starting to build my 3D printer, but now I am afraid maybe these are not powerful enough to make it work.
These are the specs of the motors: https://www.oyostepper.com/images/upload/File/17HS13-0404S.pdf

Can someone help me find out if they will actually work? I would like to know before I decide to buy another pack of motors...

Thank you so much
Re: Nema 17HS13-0404S Motor?
April 25, 2021 07:49PM
The link isn't working, but from a search of the model number they are 34mm length? I have that size (used Shinano-Kenshi sold by tony34306 on ebay) on my SCARA printer and they seem plenty powerful. 400mA is about the maximum current before they start getting hotter than I'd like. The extruder works the hardest (Creality style non-geared extruder). I haven't tested the maximum throughput on it, but it has no trouble with 0.4mm nozzle at 60mm/s. X/Y motor size depends on how much mass they have to move and how fast you want to accelerate it.
April 26, 2021 11:02AM
dekutree64
The link isn't working, but from a search of the model number they are 34mm length? I have that size (used Shinano-Kenshi sold by tony34306 on ebay) on my SCARA printer and they seem plenty powerful. 400mA is about the maximum current before they start getting hotter than I'd like. The extruder works the hardest (Creality style non-geared extruder). I haven't tested the maximum throughput on it, but it has no trouble with 0.4mm nozzle at 60mm/s. X/Y motor size depends on how much mass they have to move and how fast you want to accelerate it.

Thank you for answering. This is the datasheet info:
Holding Torque (2 phases on) : 2.6 Kg.cm
Rated Current/Phase : 0.4 Amps DC
Phase Resistance : 30 ohms
Volate Current/Phase : 12 V DC
Phase Inductance : 37 mH

My main concern is that I find people often use motors with a higher torque.
Do you know if 0.4A is the total current I should supply? Or is it per phase?
rq3
April 26, 2021 08:40PM
It's not necessarily the torque, but how quickly you can apply the current you need for the motor to get to where it needs to be. The motors you are considering are rated for 12 volts, and have a 30 ohm coil resistance, and VERY high inductance.

This means that they will not respond quickly to step inputs. Your motor drivers will deliver the current required, and in general, for a CNC application, like a 3D printer, you should choose a motor with the lowest possible rated voltage, with the lowest possible coil inductance, that will provide the torque you need.

It is not unusual to run a 3.5 volt stepper from a 48 or even 96 volt supply. The increased voltage "stuffs" current into the low inductance motor coils much more quickly, and it is up to the driver chip to decide when "enough is enough".

Unless it is a very low speed application, I don't think the motors you reference are a good choice at all.

To directly answer one of your questions, the data you quote specifically states that it is amps per phase (amps per coil). Whether this is peak or RMS is often omitted from the data sheets, but you can't go wrong by assuming it is RMS, and adjusting up fro there while keeping an eye on motor (and driver) temperatures.

Most quality steppers are designed to operate at something like 80C over an ambient of 50C, or a case temperature of 130C. More than hot enough to sizzle spit. Should you run them there? No. CAN you run them there? Yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 08:48PM by rq3.
April 26, 2021 11:12PM
Those are some odd ratings. Mine are 1.2amp, 48oz.in (which if my calculations are correct is 3.45kg.cm), and measured resistance is 8ohm. The 400mA I use is set in the Trinamic driver configuration. I'm not sure if it's per phase or what. The rated 1.2A is ok for intermittent/short duration running, and 600mA continuous would probably be ok if mounted to metal. But mine are mounted to PLA printed parts so I err on the cool side. It takes maybe 20 minutes of printing before they reach full temperature.

If you're buying more motors, then I'd say go with something different. But might as well give those a try once your printer is finished and see how they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 11:13PM by dekutree64.
May 01, 2021 11:51AM
Thank you both. I will try to use them to build the 3D printer and will update this post with results!!
August 17, 2021 07:08AM
I have finished building of the printer and it works OK with the Nema 17HS13-0404S motors. I have adjusted the current of each motor to 80% of 0.4 A (0.32 A) to prevent overheating them and the printer works really good. Hope to help anyone interested.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login