Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Acrylic notches

Posted by johnnyz 
Acrylic notches
January 24, 2008 01:57AM
I was wondering what, if any, the purpose of the notches in the acrylic stages are?

Well... I am slowly accumulating the various bits and pieces I need to make the seedling. I still have a few nuts and bolts to get. I just picked up a couple 1/4" acrylic end cuts from a local plastics shop for what seemed like a reasonable price. Now I have to figure out the best way to cut/shape acrylic.

I printed out the x stage from the sticker pdf but the lines on the bottom and right were outside the printable area of my laser printer.
Re: Acrylic notches
January 24, 2008 11:59AM
The notches are to mount the endstop flags. they line up with the endstop mounts on the rail supports.

Its a bummer that the X stage doesnt quite fit... i'll look at modifying the drawings so that they fit, but it may be something we'll just have to deal with for v1.2 and redesign in v1.3 to fit. the accuracy of those lines isnt a huge deal on that end... i'd suggest just guesstimate and draw them in with a ruler based on the curves that get cut off.

perhaps it would be a good idea to get some stickers professionally printed. it probably wouldnt cost too much.
January 24, 2008 05:03PM
yeah, big print at kinkos is a couple bucks. If your really strapped for cash , forgo lunch one day and you'll have your funds. Who ever said beauty came without sacrifice?

Jay
January 24, 2008 06:08PM
if you read the instructions, the PTFE is easily available in the US. McMaster sells it in 1/2" strips and all you have to do is cut it to length.
January 24, 2008 10:54PM
Hey Zach,

That makes sense about the flags. How are you doing them? I don't think I've seen a photo with them unless I'm missing something.

I'm not too worried about the printouts I have access to a number of printers so I'm sure one will be able to print closer to the edges of the screen. I thought I would point it out as it will be an issue with some people.

btw I love how active and these forums are... there's obviously a great community of reprappers... very valuable!

jz

now if only I could find a local source for socket head cap screws... even if I could use a different type... those socket heads just look cool...McMaster wont ship to me in Canada.
January 25, 2008 08:11AM
try MSC for cap head screws they have a very good quality "import line" I dont know if they ship to Canada but worth a try..

Bruce
January 25, 2008 10:05AM
Try travers.com for canada as well. It's what all the machinists in Ottawa recommended to me.
January 25, 2008 10:31AM
the flags are actually not too hard. things are looking pretty busy for me this next week, but i'll try and get in the lab to document the rest of McWire ASAP.

basically, the flag is what interrupts the opto switch when the stage is close to the end of the axis. so, there are 2 important things: 1. the flag and the switch slot line up and 2. the material is opaque to IR.

if you use lasercut + sticker templates, #1 should be easy, otherwise you need to wait until you get everything assembled to mount the opto switch. once you have your notch and opto switch aligned, then you add the flag.

i've been using 4 x folded aluminum for my flags, but its sort of flimsy and i'm looking for a better way. basically, i've just been taping the aluminum into the slot an adjusting it so it works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login