Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Notes on differences between wiki and bitsfrombytes molded parts

Posted by reece.arnott 
Notes on differences between wiki and bitsfrombytes molded parts
January 31, 2008 01:01AM
Over the last couple of weeks I've been putting together my Cartesian Bot using parts supplied from the BitsFromBytes store and the wiki.

I've come across a few minor differences so I thought I'd share them:

First, the generic corner blocks I received have fewer holes in them. They divide into two lots: the ones for the upper corners have holes for rods to go through on adjacent corners and the ones for the lower corners have holes on diagonal corners.

The datum block already includes the Z motor bracket and the block to go above it already contains the y motor bracket.

The toothed pulleys are all variations on a theme which makes them a little hard to sort out. See [bitsfrombytes.com] for a picture of the Y drive pulley.

The X pulley has no grub screws attached to it, has an 8mm hole at one end and a smaller hole to attach to the motor at the other. I attached this to the X motor using superglue.

The Y drive pulley has 2 grub screws, an 8mm hole at one end, and a smaller hole to attach to the motor at the other. I attached this to the motor and the correct rod and tightened the screws.

The Y idler pulley has 2 grub screws and an 8mm hole through the entire length. I put this on the threaded rod with a nut on either end and tighten them and the grub screws to keep it in place.

The Z drive pulley is the same as the Y drive pulley but I attached it to the motor with superglue as well as tightening the grub screws (might not have had to but better safe than sorry).

The 3 Z idler pulleys have no grub screws and an 8mm hole through the entire length and are currently kept in place with nuts on either end of the 8mm threaded rod. I just realised that won't work when the belt is on so I may have to look back through the forums and see how others have done that. Ooops!

The diagonal tie brackets don't have a hole for a grub screw or trapped nut as it was found they are not needed if you just tighten the M8 nuts a little bit more than you can do by hand using a spanner. I was feeling a little paranoid about the tie brackets on the bottom so I drilled a hole with a 4.5mm bit, wiggled it around a bit, and screwed in a M5 grub screw anyway.

The mountings to attach the circuit boards weren't included but I just used cable ties.

The Z optostop flag was the pieces from the redesign shown in a November 2007 blog entry but the wiki doesn't have instuctions for this.

There is also an attachment to attach the extruder to the carriage. I believe it is called the Extruder Quickfit Dock. If so, it was blogged about in September 2007 about the stl files being added but there are no instructions for fitting it. I'm not sure if my way of fitting it is right so I won't confuse the matter by posting about it :-)

If someone who knows could add this to the wiki it would be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 01:12AM by reece.arnott.
Re: Notes on differences between wiki and bitsfrombytes molded parts
February 01, 2008 08:04PM
Hi Reece

The Z idle pulleys should be held just by clamping between nuts on the threaded rod no need for any other fixing, the Y idle pulley should be grub screwed on and I'm sorry to say this rod should not be threaded it will eat the Y Bearing very quickly, all rods and motors should have a small flat/ dimple made for where the grub screw goes this prevents the need to over tighten the grub screw while still giving a positive drive, take care not to over tighten the grub screws!

We have now tried to make the pulleys a little more different from each other to save the confusion.

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login