Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware nightmare, 5D, Sprinter, oh my

Posted by Vortex87 
Firmware nightmare, 5D, Sprinter, oh my
December 07, 2011 11:55PM
So, late last night I was pouring over all the information I could how to set up my gen 6 board. I found a great youtube tutorial that explained how to change the configuration.h, compile and run in the Arduino interface. I followed the instructions to the t, compiled the .pde file, then hit the magic upload button. My first reaction was shock and excitement as my little board sprung to life and started making wonderful/strange electronics sounds. At first I was scared something went wrong until I opened repetier and SUCCESS!!!

This excitement was somewhat short lived as I attempted to further explore and control my machine manually (In the manual input GUI). Now I found that I could move the motors in one axis only (the + buttons). As the motors were charged it was impossible to reset them to the home position, at which point I unplugged my power supply and set them back by hand. I read the various forum responses and wiki pages as to using Sprinter, and the repetier firmware. I then attempted to flash different firmware to which my cute little electronic noises went away. When I opened up RepSnapper and Repetier both were unable to find my machine. I figured my inability to move them back to their original position was a firmware issue.

As of right now I've probably uploaded firmware 20 times, Sprinter, Repetier-host firmware, and my only success, 5D GCode Interpreter. The best results I was able to achieve thus far is extruder, positive y, positive z, and ironically x in both directions. It should be noted that NONE of the other firmware worked AT ALL, no noises even. I re-loaded the original 5D Gcode Interpreter firmware that gave me my only results. When I click on negative direction (other than x-axis) the motors respond with a noise but no movement. It sounds like they are trying to move, as if I clicked the .10 movement.

I am so close to being an official reprapper haha. Its thanks to all the brilliant developers out there that I've managed to come even this far. I am almost to the peak of the mountain it feels like. Its been MANY months that I was able to slowly save up the money to get my components one at a time. This is such an amazing piece of technology, still very very much in its infancy, like the Apple Lisa or something. Well I would appreciate any kind of tips/suggestions. I got some inventions I've just itching to finally build smiling bouncing smiley
Re: Firmware nightmare, 5D, Sprinter, oh my
December 08, 2011 03:43AM
20 different firmwares? Do that many exist?

20 uploads? Not much.

Typically one tries to get things work step by step. Jumping from one firmware to another isn't helpful.

Ah, and forget this "works out of the box" thing. With thousands of possible machine configurations, this is can't happen.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login