Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there an Idiots guide to programming the Arduino?

Posted by Chompalot 
Is there an Idiots guide to programming the Arduino?
January 03, 2012 01:31PM
Hi Guys

I've very nearly finished the build and wiring of the RepRap, but on looking at the firmware, I get lost between
The Arduino-1 software that I've loaded onto my computer and how I get the firmware in there to compile and load onto the Arduino Mega2560.

I downloaded the Topokip firmware but this looks like C or something similar
theres one .pde file and a lot of .h files
a readme that didn't help a lot a .cpp for an Sd2Card and a .py

so do I need more software to compile this or, what do I need to load in to the Arduino software?

Cheers

Simon
Re: Is there an Idiots guide to programming the Arduino?
January 03, 2012 06:17PM
Well, looks like you got pretty much everything you need as long as the Arduino IDE installed fine. Just start the Arduino software and go File->Open, then load that .pde file - that's an Arduino "sketch" file and it will load all the other files you need in different tabs. I'm not familiar with the Topokip firmware but it's almost a guarantee that there's a file called config.h that would have a bunch of parameters you'd need to look at before you compile just to verify that your signals (STEPX, Y, Direction, min etc.) are connected to proper Arduino outputs. Then save all the changes (there's an icon for that) and when everything is ready, click the Upload icon (right arrow). That will compile the C code and load the resulting machine code into the Arduino.

If you don't see any error messages during the process, you're pretty much done with the firmware.

/\_/\      ARDUINO
((@v@))     CNC
()~|~()     ROBOTICS
 VV-VV      my bits of questionable wisdom...
January 04, 2012 07:26AM
Chompalot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Arduino-1

...and if you do see error messages, try using a slightly older version (0022 or 0023) of the Arduino IDE, as there's a known incompatibility between Arduino 1.0 and several RepRap firmwares.
January 04, 2012 09:16AM
Thanks for the responses. I'll have another go this evening, and report back,

regards

Simon
January 04, 2012 02:14PM
Hi again

back home now and having another go. I loaded the Arduino-0023 and downloaded the sprinter firmware since the previous download was depricated.

I opened the sprinter.pde with the Arduino-0023 and was asked to put it in a folder, which it did, but it didn't load the other files in tabs as was suggested.
and when I did a verify there were a lot of errors.

any ideas?

cheers
Simon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login