Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x-axis problem when moving right

Posted by joergk 
x-axis problem when moving right
February 03, 2011 02:53AM
Hi there!

I´m just building my first mendel (maybe a larger one later if that one works), but I have some problems moving the extruder over the x-axis correctly. Other problems were all solved, but now the x-axis is moving well to the left side (home-side), but if I´m starting in the middle the first 2 or 3 steps are working fine - the next steps get shorter and shorter till it stops moving to the right side. If I start in the home-position there will not be any movement to the right.

First I´ve checked the frame and belts and so on, but everything´s fine. After that I´ve tried to change the stepper controllers. After I changed stepper controllers x and y the problem was still on the x-axis. So I tried to change only the connection of the steppers. Stepper controllers were left for x and y axis, but I only swapped the cables to the steppers that the x stepper was connected to the y axis and the y stepper was connected to the x axis. After that the y axis had that moving problem. So that can´t be the stepper or the stepper controller - measuring everything told me that everything´s alright too.

After that I´ve tried to upload the firmware once again. I´ve tried several ones, but it´s still the same problem.

Actual I´m using Gen 3 electronics (Motherboard 1.2, Extruder 2.2, Stepper Controllers 2.3, Optostops at min and max) uploaded the firmware via Arduino Version 21 (with version 22 I´ve always got errors uploading)

Main changes in the configuration file were just the optostops and the direction of the z-axis (it went the wrong way).

Maybe anybody can give me a hint what to try next or even got the solution for that problem.

Thank you for your help!

Yours,

Joerg
Re: x-axis problem when moving right
February 03, 2011 03:55AM
Double-check your endstop's connections and settings. Every time there's an uneven movement like that it's been the endstops.

However, this is the first I've heard of it moving even a little - usually if the endstops bad (broken, misconfigured, not hooked up, whatever) it will refuse to move that direction at all.

Perhaps you have a combination of that with a unreliable endstop or electrical connection? Do you smoke, and the smoke is giving the X endstop fits? It's optical, works on opacity, smoke might confuse it?

It's definitely endstops though.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
February 03, 2011 04:08AM
joergk
After that I´ve tried to change the stepper controllers. After I changed stepper controllers x and y the problem was still on the x-axis. So I tried to change only the connection of the steppers. Stepper controllers were left for x and y axis, but I only swapped the cables to the steppers that the x stepper was connected to the y axis and the y stepper was connected to the x axis. After that the y axis had that moving problem.

If all you did was SWAP THE CABLE and the problem moved then THE CABLE IS YOUR PROBLEM.
Make a new cable for the X-axis connection from Motherboard to X-axis stepper controller.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 03, 2011 04:11AM
Hello!

Thank you so much for that fast reply!

Well I´m not smoking. I´ve just switched of the additional endstops and now everything´s moving perfect! After that I´ve checked the endstops - swapped several of them and changed the cables and tried to swap stepper controllers as well, but when I switch on all endstops I still have that problem.

So I decided to go forward without the additional endstops to have my first print done and I´ll go back later check that problem.

Kind regards,

Joerg
February 03, 2011 04:22AM
Dear Bob!

I only put the x axis stepper to the y axis stepper controller and the y axis stepper to the x axis controller. I´ve already tried swapping the other cables, but they are pretty ok.

jgilmore was damn right!

Thanks a lot again here!

Best,

Joerg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login