Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin PID performance

Posted by nophead 
Marlin PID performance
September 05, 2013 08:03AM
Using Marlin's autotune on a J-head MK5B I get temperature swings of about +/- 1 C. Is this typical performance? I am sure it is adequate but a bit disappointing.

With my own firmware using bang bang I get about +/-3 C but it has much better transient response because if I say drop the temperature 20C with Marlin it winds up the I term waiting for the temperature to change and then overshoots considerably. Bang bang has no more overshoot on a temperature change than its normal oscillation.

With an aluminium heater block and the thermistor placed half way between the resistor and the barrel I can get +/-1C with bang bang.

Bang bang doesn't work well with Marlin because it doesn't sample often enough. I sample hundreds of times per second and the presence of some noise in the ADC reading then creates pseudo PWM with a small band of proportional control close to the set point.

So it seems all this extra complication doesn't actually achieve much or does anybody get better performance with PID and a MK5B?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Marlin PID performance
September 06, 2013 07:52AM
10 ms is the minimum time required to get a sample from the built in ADC, isn't it? So you max out at 100 samples/second. I've heard Marlin does oversampling to compensate for the poor resolution due to the 4k7 resistor, so it performs even slower.

I think a good first step for better accuracy would be to replace the 4k7 with a 1k one and getting rid of oversampling to allow these 100 samples/second. I haven't investigated this closer yet, because "unusual" steps in firmware configuration tends to shy users away.

Also, does your electronics do noise canceling for the analog voltage supply?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Marlin PID performance
September 24, 2013 11:12PM
Using Marlin's autotune on a Stoffel V1 and 3 selfmade Hotends I get temperature swings of about +/- 0.1 to 0.2 C !
Check the 5V generatet from der Arduino Mega most have to many noice when put Opto Endstops on the 5V

Hardwarekiller
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login