Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

accelleration

Posted by UkIan 
accelleration
January 29, 2015 10:02AM
I don't understand the accelleration settings in Marlin. I don't know what I should be aiming for as a good setting. I don't know what setting them too high, or my current worry, too low does.

So if you set the accellerations conservatively low, what are the effects?

Equally how would I diagnose them being too high? What are the effects of setting them too high?

Thanks
Re: accelleration
January 29, 2015 06:08PM
Hi,

if the acceleration is very low, you will basically just have a slower printer in general, because it will take more time to get the motors up to speed. Even thou its not noticeable much on one layer, it will still add up.

If the acceleration is to high it can cause two problems (which will have similar effects).
Either the Steppers are loosing steps, or the pulley will accelerate so much that it can't grip the belt-teeth everytime. Both events will result in an offset, and the print is ruined.

Hope that helps...
January 29, 2015 10:24PM
Also, rapid back and forth moves (fill, etc.) can cause the structure to loosen or make noise if the acceleration is too fast.

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
January 30, 2015 03:57AM
Yep, that helps. I sort of assumed that the firmware was smart enough to figure out that a lower accelleration would mean it would need to slow down for corners, but there was always a nagging feeling. I assume a faster accelleration could give sharper corners as well as being faster? Or is that poppycock?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login