Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet and DC42 Firmware on Delta

Posted by WZ9V 
Duet and DC42 Firmware on Delta
October 22, 2015 08:40PM
I'm getting tired of messing with delta calibrations that almost work.

For those of you using Duet and the DC42 firmware is it to the stage where after the initial configuration, you can run the calibration and start printing without having to mess around with stuff?

I'd like to be able to print on one glass plate and when it's finished swap in a second glass plate, run a quick calibration and print my next object.
Re: Duet and DC42 Firmware on Delta
October 23, 2015 03:41AM
That's exactly what the Duet and dc42's firmware can achieve, especially when using one of dc42's IR Z sensors (though that's not compulsory). Initially I spent some time getting the delta set up properly, then the dc42 calibration routine sorts out the maths.

Every time I started a print I would run the calibration, which takes less than 30 seconds - much less. I had the calibrate command in my slicer as part of the start-up code.
October 23, 2015 09:30AM
Perfect. I have one of his IR sensors that I have tried with my current solution that I'm not real happy with.

Sounds like it might be worth springing for a duet to experiment with. I want to spend more time tuning my prints and less time trying to get the first layer right.
October 23, 2015 11:25AM
The calibration can run a lot faster with one of his sensors - the head can zip between test points, only slowing down for the last few millimetres. If you do get a Duet board, read David's excellent instructions for setting it all up - worthwhile and well written.
October 23, 2015 02:33PM
David, thanks for your recommendation.

WZ9V, if you want more responses, you might try asking in the Delta forum.

If you do decide to buy a Duet, there are 3 suppliers now:

1. Duet 0.8.5 from Think3DPrint3D. The best one (made in UK) but also the most expensive. Supports dual extrusion, and has the Reset and Erase buttons on the edge of the board for easy access under the bed of a large delta (see my blog entries). The headline price on T3P3's web site includes VAT, which you don't have to pay if you are outside the EU.

2. Duet 0.6 from Repilkeo. A snip at only $50 + shipping, but from reports on these forums it appears that their testing is not up to scratch. They seem to replace faulty boards with little hassle, but you have to wait for delivery from Hong Kong again.

3. Duet 0.6 from RepRapPro. Made in China, but RepRapPro seem to have improved their QA because reports of faulty boards from them on the forums are rare these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 02:39PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login