Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet + Duex - Extruder Endstops implemented? RepRapFirmware

Posted by Janosch2015 
Duet + Duex - Extruder Endstops implemented? RepRapFirmware
January 26, 2016 09:59AM
Firmware: RepRapFirmware-dev_1.09m-dc42

Hello,

can I use endstops for stopping the 6 extruder motors connected to the Duet and Duex board?

The red led on the board flashes when I activate the endstop sensors (like on the X,Y,Z-axis) but the extruder motors do not stop running.

Are extruder endstops included/ allowed in reprap firmware?

regards!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 09:59AM by Janosch2015.
Re: Duet + Duex - Extruder Endstops implemented? RepRapFirmware
January 26, 2016 01:32PM
Extruder endstops do not stop the extruders. Neither to the XYZ endstops stop the XYZ motors, unless you add the S1 modifier to the G0 or G1 command. So-called "endstop switches" should really be called "homing switches" on most 3D printers.

I am looking at supporting the extruder endstops to connect filament-out sensors and other types of external event detector.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 28, 2016 05:01AM
Oh okay I really didn't expect that. Doesn't it make sense to check at least the axis endstops at all time? I mean the slicer could be configured wrong or the user could mess it up by manually controlling the printer...
January 28, 2016 06:33PM
Janosch2015
Oh okay I really didn't expect that. Doesn't it make sense to check at least the axis endstops at all time? I mean the slicer could be configured wrong or the user could mess it up by manually controlling the printer...

It's best to design your printer so that no damage will be done if a motor tries to drive something beyond its mechanical stop. On the Duet you can easily adjust the motor current to get the torque you need without so much as to cause damage if you move the motor too much.

I can only recall reading a request for permanently-active endstop switches in RepRapFirmware once before. I guess I could add it as a configurable feature, but bear in mind that it would only protect against excess movement in one direction. Once you have homed the printer, software endstops are activated unless you disable them - although of course they don't protect you if you get missed steps.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login