Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Custom homing for Repetier or other

Posted by jjurban55 
Custom homing for Repetier or other
May 30, 2017 05:40PM
Hello everyone, this looks like a great place. I've worked on a 3D printer in the past, but now I'm working on something a little different. It's a manufacturing machine for a new kind of toy, and involves plastic film that comes off one roll/spool, is processed, then is wound up on a second spool. Both spools are driven by independent stepper motors, one being the X axis and one the Y axis as far as Repetier/firmware are concerned. There are two other axises, Z and E, that move a multifunction head with respect to the plastic film.

Now one challenge with these spools is as one spool gets smaller and the other gets larger, the steps per mm setting changes for each. I think I have that problem licked, but my real issue now is performing a homing operation (repeatedly) with markings that are made on the plastic film, homing being with respect to a stationary photo-interrupter that can accurately detect the markings (one marking is homed so the multifunction head can execute Gcode to make a pattern/design on that section of plastic film, then the next marking is homed and the Gcode repeated, and so on). As for the the Repetier firmware, it appears only one axis can be homed at a time, which in my case is actually a problem since both the X and Y axises need to move in unison/synchronized (but at different steps per mm) in order to properly move the plastic film to the next section.

I unfortunately don't have much experience with firmware, but if I could get some help to somehow modify Repetier firmware or other firmware to allow the X and Y axises to home at the same time, or better yet, pay somebody to help me, I would be very grateful.

Jesse
Re: Custom homing for Repetier or other
May 30, 2017 06:18PM
RepRapFirmware supports simultaneous homing of multiple axes. The homing procedures are defined by gcode scripts stored on the SD card, so it is very easy to change them.

RepRapFirmware was written to run on the 32-bit Duet series of controller electronics, but also runs on RADDS, Archim and Alligator boards.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Custom homing for Repetier or other
May 30, 2017 06:49PM
That's awesome to hear! I'm ordering a Duet 0.8.5 now, it sounds like this will have great flexibility for an unusual machine winking smiley
Have a great day!
Jesse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login