Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRapFirmware goes RTOS!

Posted by dc42 
RepRapFirmware goes RTOS!
April 10, 2018 04:29PM
I am pleased to announce the first beta release of RepRapFirmware with a Real Time Operating System kernel. RRF 2.0 uses FreeRTOS, a light weight RTOS kernel coded to high integrity standards that is ideal for embedded firmware running on 32-bit processors.

The use of RTOS will speed up future development of RepRapFirmware and facilitate advance features. In future I hope to implement even faster file uploads over the network to the SD card, simultaneous file uploading and printing, automatic simulation of print files in the background, automatic tool preparation in advance of a tool change, and more.

A pre-built binary of RepRapFirmware 2.0 beta 1 for the Duet Ethernet and Duet WiFi is available via [github.com]. As always with GitHub, follow the links until you reach a page with a Download button.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: RepRapFirmware goes RTOS!
April 19, 2018 01:19PM
Great!
This also gives RRF hackers another support forum to lean on when it comes to all the non-3dprinter-specific stuff.

Do you think being based on FreeRTOS will help RRF support new hardware more easily?
I'm particularly interested in compiling for RISC-V boards once one becomes available that is suitable for 3d-printing.

torbjornludvigsen.com
Re: RepRapFirmware goes RTOS!
April 19, 2018 05:13PM
The use of RTOS doesn't really affect the ability to support different hardware. On the one hand, RTOS facilitates a cleaner architecture, which helps. On the other, the need to have the peripheral drivers use RTOS calls to wait for completion interrupts means that either the hardware abstraction layer needs to make calls to the RTOS, or the application has to know a little more about the hardware than is ideal. The choice depends on whether you mind locking the HAL to a particular RTOS.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login