Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Solved]Marlin Endstops + Testing issues

Posted by pfinucan 
[Solved]Marlin Endstops + Testing issues
September 09, 2012 07:54PM
UPDATE:

All of the issues described below were caused but a incomplete edit of the configuration file. So if you have any of the following symptoms I would suggest double checking the "#define MOTHERBOARD 33" line to make sure it is 33 for Ramps1.4 and not "3"

The printer communicates but:
1. Motors don't move when commanded
2. A single motor held but didn't move
3. End stops don't register any change

Hi,

So I am new to all this to please excuse me if these are stupid questions.

I built a repstrap and I'm running a Ramps 1.4 board on an Arduino Mega, with Marlin_v1, and have run into some problems. Mechanically everything seems to work. I tested it with the ramps test code (http://reprap.org/wiki/File:RAMPS14_test.zip). But when I try the Marlin_v1 firmware, it communicates fine but nothing moves.

There can be a lot of things that cause this so I was hoping someone could point me to a marlin system check tutorial. Any suggestions?

The first thing I investigated was the endstops. By sending M119 to the printer it tells me everything high, and it doesn't change if I hold down the switch and send M119. I have normally open switches connected to the (-) and the (s) pins. So I have a problem with my end stops. If I send a G code to move it echos that it hit an endstop. If I reverse the endstop logic and then send a G code to move, it echo's ok, but nothing moves.

One thing I noticed is that the Marlin_v1 code includes the following:

// corse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
// fine Enstop settings: Individual Pullups. will be ignord if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

But if I understand this correctly, if you define ENDSTOPPULLUPS the individual pull ups are define, or if you DON"T define ENDSTOPPULLUPS the individual pullups are still define which means that the pins are always set high. If you trace the code ENDSTOPPULLUPS only shows up in the config file so only the individual variables are used in the rest of the code.

This doesn't matter for my configurations because I need the pull ups, but I thought it was odd.

Anyone else have movement problems with Marlin_v1?

Thanks,
Patrick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 07:44PM by pfinucan.
Re: Marlin Endstops + Testing issues
September 09, 2012 08:15PM
Okay, so one thing I found was that I had the wrong motherboard selected, so none of the pins were defined incorrectly. That can cause a lot of problems.

Still no motor movement, but the endstops work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 08:30PM by pfinucan.
Hi Pfinucan

the endstop pull ups are needed if you use mechanical endstops, comment them out if you have optos

if you use mech endstops, only use the 2 outermost connctors on the board (not the + pin) only S and -
for optos use all 3

if you send M119 and all is high you need to invert the endstops in marlin
check also conf.adv.h in marlin for #define end sops only for homing

I had similar issues, and used the commented out settings in pins.h

hope this helps

carel
Re: [Solved]Marlin Endstops + Testing issues
March 15, 2016 10:36PM
A guy on the flite test forms was able to help me out and I am using his arduino code now.
Thanks for the help anyway!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 10:38PM by rcflyer729.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login