Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Markforged Mark one's Kinematics

Posted by Klemenkovič 
Markforged Mark one's Kinematics
October 12, 2018 07:25AM
Hello there,

I am currently actively working on a 3d printer of my own design, that design being quite similar to the workings of Markforges "Mark one", however it will use dual motors for the Y axis, to counter the problem of torque twisting and to generally increase printing speeds. I am nearing completion of the hardware and am currently head butting my self against a wall trying to make the software side cooperate. The culprit being that I don't have a clue on coding in Marlin, thus I thought of outsourcing my problems, for you wonderful people to solve smiling smiley
To be frank I don't expect much to come of this, but if there is anyone willing to sink some time into writing suggestions to my problems of making kinematics for this thing in Merlin, I will be eternally grateful.

Here are some things to know;
Y axis is simple enough, just needing S1 and S2 to move linearly across, Z axis being similar
X axis is a tad bit more complex than that, given that It needs to move to counteract the y axis, since they are connected via the carriage,
The equation goes as such: X = S1,S2 + S3, / X = Y + S3

Also please let me know, if there are any premade kinematics, that I could use/modify in my effort

If you have made it this far into this paragraph already, I would also love to hear you opinions of such design, with it I wanted to skip on the long belts, and the uneven printing strain that conventional xy machines suffer from, especially near the edges. However I have some doubts about the max print speed, witch was the main design goal of this printer, I was hoping for upwards of 120 mm/s on a good day, but Im affraid that when it will print diagonally such as when printing infill , the X motor will have to go upwards of 240 mm/s and given that steppers loose torque the faster they go, I have my doubts about the project.
Re: Markforged Mark one's Kinematics
October 12, 2018 04:23PM
I could implement that kinematics for you, but in RepRapFirmware, not Marlin.

Is there my particular reason you have chosen that kinematics instead of CoreXY?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 13, 2018 05:57AM
Hi "dc42",
yes, that would be great, to be honest, I haven't expected such a generous offer in such short notice, but it would be greatly appreciated, if you could arrange it. Now I am mostly a costumed to Marlin, but I dont think the changes are to drastic. As long as it works on Ramps 1.4 and takes standart G code that is.
Now to answer the burning question of why, It is mostly for the surplus of print speed and the fact, that all of the parts come from my Anet a8, meaning I have a stepper motor to spare.
+ I havent seen anyone do this configuration before, sow it might just be the next big thing, u never knowsmiling smiley

If u have any questions, or if I was unclear, please write it here.

And thank you again
October 13, 2018 07:05AM
RepRapFirmware does not run on 8 bit controllers (ie mega2560 etc)

"3D printer RepRap Firmware runs on 32 bit, ARM-based microprocessors Atmel SAM3X8E, as found on the Arduino Due and Duet 0.6 and 0.8.6 electronics, and on ATSAM4E8E as found in the Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet electronics." from [reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 07:08AM by Dust.
October 13, 2018 07:49AM
Hmm, I have considered upgrading the board to something else, like SmoothieBoard or alike, given the desired print speeds, does anything cost effective come to mind?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login