Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't connect with pronterface

Posted by kugel 
Can't connect with pronterface
December 10, 2012 08:55AM
Hi reprap community!

i am new and have just built my first reprap.

I am using Sanguinololu Electronics and after a long day of headaches i managed to compile both Marlin and Sprinter.

But i am not able to connect to the printer with either of the firmwares on it - they uploaded just fine with Arduino 1.0.1. I use the baud rates 250000 for Marlin and 115200 for Sprinter and pronterface just says "connecting..." if i select the wrong baud rates it says "attempted to write invalid text to console" and if i detach the cable it says "Can't write to printer (disconnected?). Can't read from printer (disconnected?).". So the connection seems to be ok.

I am on gentoo and pronterface starts without other errors, furthermore starting it as root does not make a difference because my user is in the tty and uucp groups. (i've tried it)

Any suggestions? And is there any feedback if the connect was succesful? (also tried pronsole.py)

Thank you very much
kugel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 09:03AM by kugel.
Re: Can't connect with pronterface
December 10, 2012 01:11PM
Don't run userland stuff as root! Unless you have fun reinstalling your system, of course.

You can connect using a serial terminal like GtkTerm. It's a plain serial connection. Hitting Enter should be answered by an "ok", sending M105 should give a temperature report.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 10, 2012 05:04PM
Hi Thank you for your reply!

if i try to connect with gtkterm i don't get any okay and i can't type anything in the console... what could i do?
December 11, 2012 05:23AM
You can type in console, but unlike with a real terminal, characters aren't echo'd back.

If just nothing happens, check your firmware configuration. If firmware uploading works, the serial connection hardware works. Can't help much with Marlin & Sprinter, I'm a Teacup guy.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 12, 2012 02:33PM
Hmm i still can't manage to connect sad smiley just uploaded Sprinter with 250000 baud set in the firmware. I often get a "stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
" when trying to upload a firmware.

Does anybody know what could be wrong ? sad smiley
December 12, 2012 05:07PM
Hi again,

still not working...
Do i have to power the board except with the usb to be able to connect to it? I tried it but i want to know if i have to switch on my psu everytime i try to connect. And does anything else like the stepper motors have to be connected?
December 12, 2012 06:47PM
Hmm, not sure of the stk500 error, but I can tell you that most linux distributions don't support 250k baud, so stick to 115200. Also, not really familiar with Gentoo, but with Ubuntu and other Debian derivatives, you need to add yourself to a special group to be allowed to make serial connections (the group is "dialout" on Debian types).

Finally, you should be able to just plug the board into the USB and communicate. You don't need to have anything attached. Wish I could be more help, but I figured something was better than nothing.
December 13, 2012 03:15PM
Hi folks,

now i tried the Repetier-Firmware and the Repetier-Host and i was able to move all axes smiling smiley
Problem is I get errors and then disconnects often. Don't know why but at least i can connect!

That's a reasonable improvement to the previous state.

Now i just have to figure out where the errors come from and fix that...
December 05, 2013 07:02AM
Just had the exact same issue, other software versions.
Solved in Configuration.h:
//#define BAUDRATE 250000
#define BAUDRATE 115200
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login