Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Running a slave motor on my y axis

Posted by beamsjr 
Running a slave motor on my y axis
February 06, 2013 03:25PM
I am working on running my cnc machine as a 3d printer, I have everything working except my Y axis using teacup firmware on a arduino mega. I have 2 motors on my Y axis, one acting as a slave which runs inverse, I was wondering how I can set this up in teacup or if there is another firmware that would support this. Thanks
Re: Running a slave motor on my y axis
February 06, 2013 06:17PM
You should be fine just connecting the motors in serial or parallel in the same way that the z motors are wired. If one motor goes the wrong way, just switch two of the leads to it. I'm curious as to why you're doing this though? Btw, I'd love someone to correct me, but I think these are the pros/cons of serial/parallel:

series pros: lets the max current of the driver flow through both, so you might get more torque for equivalent heating of the driver at lowish speeds. cons: the drivers are chopper drivers, that rely on a higher driving voltage than the voltage you want across the motor, to reduce the effects of inductance at high speeds and push the max current quickly

parallel is just the opposite
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login