Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with z axis

Posted by newrapper 
Problem with z axis
September 12, 2013 08:50AM
I posted this on the ramps forum and got no response. I have run the ramps test program and everything works fine, yet after I loaded up Repetier firmware and connected to the printer with Pronterface, the z motors didn't respond. I then attached one z motor to the x stepper driver and the other to the y and the motors worked. When I connected the x or y motor to the either z stepper driver pins , they don't work. Ramps 1.4 mega r3. The x and y axis home. M119 returns x_min:L y_min:H z_min:H z_max:H as the status of my end stops. Is it a software problem?
Re: Problem with z axis
September 13, 2013 05:04AM
Check the Endstop configuration in Configuration.h.

Try without MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z.

Example with 3 min mechanical endstops (Pullup true):

// ##########################################################################################
// ##                            Endstop configuration                                     ##
// ##########################################################################################

/* By default all endstops are pulled up to HIGH. You need a pullup if you
use a mechanical endstop connected with GND. Set value to false for no pullup
on this endstop.
*/
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MAX true

// Set to true to invert the logic of the endstops
#define ENDSTOP_X_MIN_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MIN_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MIN_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_X_MAX_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MAX_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MAX_INVERTING false

// Set the values true where you have a hardware endstop. The Pin number is taken from pins.h.

#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y true
#define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_X false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Y false
#define MAX_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z false

3D Printing :: bit-by-bit - Thingiverse
Re: Problem with z axis it only goes up
September 13, 2013 02:29PM
Thanks, you help got them moving. Now, they go up but not down. It only goes up at the home command and doesn't react at all to the other z commands in pronterface. M119 reads x_min:L y_min:L z_min:L, M114 reads X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00. The extruder sits right in the middle of the x axis, the heat bed sits right in the middle of the y axis and the x axis carrier sits at the top of the z rods. Shouldn't it be half way down toward the heat bed? This is an i3. The z end stop is on the bottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 09:12PM by newrapper.
Re: Problem with z axis
September 14, 2013 09:59AM
Great news. I got up this morning and disconnected the z axis threaded rods from the motors, opened up pronterface and connected to the printer. Then I tested the movement up and down on the z and the steppers worked for all commands. Problem solved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login