Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface connection issue (early stages)

Posted by royo1 
Pronterface connection issue (early stages)
April 25, 2014 10:44PM
Hey guys and girls!

This will be my first post here of many I'm guessing!

Have done a couple of quick searches but I can't find any issue that relates exactly to my problem.

Build:
Rostock, Arduino 2560, Ramps 1.4, Nema 17 1.8A, Poplu (allegro A4983) drivers.
Computer
Windows 7 premium x64

I've been building this one when "I have time" and now I'm up to the face where I can actually connect it and try to communicate with it. This means, frame is done, motors in place as well as the Arduino, Ramps and drivers.
I downloaded a RAMPS 1.4 test sketch for the Arduino and all the motors move so at this time I was happy.

I haven't connected things like, sensors for the extuder and the end switches (I don't have the belts installed at this point).

I followed some steps on a youtube clip I found where "RUSS" built one from start to finish and I did as he did when it comes to the software.
YT: [www.youtube.com]
He also provides a file with all the programs necessary...

Anyways, it runs Marlin and when I try to connect it doesn't do a single thing except saying "Connecting..." in the command windows in pronterface.

What do I need to check out? I've tried different versions of Marlin etc.

Something I haven't done is to comment out all the things I have not connected, I can imagine this is a problem and I don't know if it's even possible without it crashing.

Hopefully someone maybe got a "try the motors"-version of Marlin just so I can see that the coms work and maybe do some "air-printing".

Many thanks for some guidance, I'm feeling a bit clueless at this stage :-/
Re: Pronterface connection issue (early stages)
April 27, 2014 12:39AM
Check serial ports and baud rates.

If you have been able to flash/try different versions of Marlin, then it sounds like you can get communication between the Arduino and the computer.
April 27, 2014 03:25AM
DaveX
Check serial ports and baud rates.

If you have been able to flash/try different versions of Marlin, then it sounds like you can get communication between the Arduino and the computer.

Thx for your reply first of all...

I changed the configuration.h file to com 3 (as it says in arduino program) Aldo changed the baud in between the two top values (something like 115k and 250k) none works :-/

I've tried a couple of versions of Marlin but none seems to work. I suck at finding stuff on github because i just registered he he... Any version that's known for being good even if its older?

Com's in between comp and arduino works well with uploading sketches etc.
April 27, 2014 10:11PM
What the arduino itself thinks is com3 is very different than what the host computer thinks is com3. You likely want your computer's com3 to talk to the arduino's com1

See [arduino.cc] and the Input Output section where "Serial 3" is on pins 15 and 14, which are what RAMPS uses for the Y endstops.
April 28, 2014 04:24AM
DaveX
What the arduino itself thinks is com3 is very different than what the host computer thinks is com3. You likely want your computer's com3 to talk to the arduino's com1

See [arduino.cc] and the Input Output section where "Serial 3" is on pins 15 and 14, which are what RAMPS uses for the Y endstops.

This sounds like this could be the problem... I have to try it out as soon as I have a bit of time smiling smiley

I'll post here how it went...
April 30, 2014 05:36AM
As DaveX said in this thread of not confusing Arduino COM and Marlin COM....

I changed the Marlin COM back to 0 even if my Arduino program said COM3. Uploaded it, then selected COM3 in Pronterface. Connection successful!

Thanks to DaveX! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login