Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware for delta ?

Posted by fourmi 
Firmware for delta ?
June 29, 2014 04:26AM
Hi
Can anyone know if there is a modified firmware for this style of delta printer ?

I want to build one !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 04:27AM by fourmi.
Re: Firmware for delta ?
June 29, 2014 06:33AM
Building such a mechanics is the trivial part. I'm sure firmware developers will accept you code changes to get it running.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 06:33AM by Traumflug.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 29, 2014 11:43PM
It would be lovely if someone has developed a canned firmware... but well angular/rotational/circular delta is not quite popular.

I'm building one too. Same thoughts as Traumflug, I am ready to make some changes to the firmware. But I'm a newbie to reprap firmwares (this is my 1st 3d printer), so any tips about where should I change/insert the code? Like before some subroutine etc?
June 30, 2014 05:13AM
You can join the queue of those promising to do such things: [github.com] Actual code so far: zero.

June 30, 2014 11:28AM
Hope that it won't be long before the queue starts to move grinning smiley

But back to the topic, I noticed you mentioned the current approach is "is to split all movements into small pieces, recalculate them to the non-cartesian coordinate system, then queue them up as if they were cartesian". Any opensource firmware released for this type of delta? If not, which one do you suggest that I can modify for delta?

I've noticed that most RepRap uses stepper motors but my delta uses servo motors. That makes me confused of where / which to start changing the code. Thanks for your help!
July 01, 2014 07:08AM
It's people like you which have the means to get the queue moving.

That said, servo motors are a whole different matter. AFAIK, no RepRap firmware has support for these things. Unless they come with a driving electronics which allows to drive them with Step/Dir signals. Maybe LinuxCNC helps.

July 02, 2014 02:56AM
For the past few hours, I've been looking at the reprap wiki. Indeed, not much support to servo so far. Linuxcnc seems to be workable, but quite unfriendly to a linux-phobe like me.

In short, I need a minimal firmware. It can be a g-code interpreter (controls nothing) or a prototype firmware (Marlin seems too complicated to modify). And now "why?":

I would like to kick start with simple implements: first make a firmware that operates in the crude approximation way, then work on real lines (ie nonlinear in angular movement).

The first step is easy: all I need is to modify the hack the calculations for steps into servo angles. Trossenrobots provided a c-code for that.
July 02, 2014 07:56AM
As a Linux-phobe, expect hard times when doing open source development. The only usage of Windows there is to host a unix-like environment.

Marlin seems too complicated to modify

That's why I invited you to hack on Teacup, not on Marlin.

Undoubtly you'll find your luck. smiling smiley

July 02, 2014 12:26PM
I've seen the file structure on github. It scares me with the number of files. (Forgive me, I am just a amateur hobbyist in programming.)

To save time, it's best to ask the expert and the author. Which file do you expect me to work on if I have to hack?

Basically I need to change 2 things (which you may know):
1. incorporate (X,Y,Z) |---> (t1,t2,t3) functions (inverse kinematics)
2. bypass control on stepper motors and make it for servos

It would be very helpful if you could trim down the bundle to a minimal model: get g-code from serial --> interpret it --> command the steppers (and delete extruder control etc). Thank you in advance -- and forgive me again for the complicated architecture cannot be stuffed into my poor little brain sad smiley

I know I should have looked at it by myself but I might not have enough time in the remaining summer time... So hope you have the time and save my garbage delta sad smiley
July 02, 2014 07:31PM
The keyword that you are seeking is: PolyBot. Feel free to hit Thingiverse and Google for other attempts at this design.....
July 02, 2014 09:33PM
vreihen
The keyword that you are seeking is: PolyBot. Feel free to hit Thingiverse and Google for other attempts at this design.....

Yes! It's what inspired me but, no, it is not yet a RepRap workable 3D printer, based on my googling. The only source code it provides is wii-controlled movements, no g-code and anything else. Others also say that they have not reached a precision high enough for CNC. But thanks for your advice!
July 03, 2014 08:05AM
penelopeblue330
Which file do you expect me to work on if I have to hack?

As written in the issue discussion linked above, have a look into the dda-split branch. It doesn most parts of what you want to achieve already.

July 03, 2014 10:02AM
Thanks! I'll work on it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login