Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin Menus Explained

Posted by macsoft 
Marlin Menus Explained
January 30, 2015 12:34PM
Hi,
back form the dead 3 years ago with my mendel prusa, nad tonokip alteres firmware,
I now have a prusa i3 with Marlin.
I've been googling like crazy and still can't find nowhere where all the menu itens on the MArlin menu are explained.
I see some sites with the menu tree, but none with them explain (what does each item does). Example: " Menu> Tune> Flow" of course I know what that does. But... " Menu> Tune> Flow 0"..what is flow 0?

Also, in with file on the Marlin firmware can I add menu items?
thanks
M
Re: Marlin Menus Explained
January 31, 2015 04:44PM
Come across the below in the forums which helped me a lot..... There was a item about using an opto stop to pause print when filament runs out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding home x to the LCD is easy. All you need to do is find the following in ultralcd.cpp

MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_AUTO_HOME, PSTR("G28"));

Then add this after

MENU_ITEM(gcode, "Auto Home X", PSTR("G28 X0"));

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This helped me to added two new menus for my Openbeam Core XY reprap, Homing just the X and Y axis and also one for moving my Z axis to its max position (200mm) for removing printed parts.
eg.. added:
MENU_ITEM(gcode, "Auto Home XY", PSTR("G28 X0 Y0"));
MENU_ITEM(gcode, "Lower Z Axis", PSTR("G1 Z200"));

Most of the existing Marlin menu items are referenced to the lauguage.h sketch which allows for change of lauguage. Hopefully this may help you see how the existing menus operate back to g code commands.

Haven't come across a detailed description of how the menu works in any fine detail.

Cheers..
January 31, 2015 08:00PM
Great call reprot,
I'll look into it. thanks smiling smiley
March 28, 2015 10:48PM
Macsoft, did you ever find information on Menu>Tune> Flow and the Flow 0 items ?

Thanks,
Martin

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Prusa i3 EiNSTeiN Varient - I mounted my Y motor backwards, and loved every minute of it winking smiley
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
March 29, 2015 07:48AM
Nope. I'm just ignoring flow0 confused smiley
March 29, 2015 08:47AM
Marlin is a bit sad on documentation, I guess rapid development pace has caused that.
I dabble as a user of other Open Source firmware as well, like the Arduino based Arducopter and Arduplane flight controller systems, and they have awesome documentation. Every single configurable parameter is documented in the Wiki or a guide, and there are hundreds of them that can be changed.
Makes me really appreciate what they did on that project, not that I'm in any way unhappy with Marlin. When the documentation catches up it will be awesome too smiling smiley

In the meantime it's read source code (that I don't understand) or filter the WWW for scraps of info. If I work it out myself I'll let you know...
November 06, 2016 12:39PM
I have the same problem, I can sort of guess what they are for but would prefer to be certain about each menu item. When I'm not suffering from sleep deprivation I'll go through the marlin code in arduino and see if there is not a desciption in the code. I believe there would be some sort of description albeit sparce.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login