Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing Firmware/drivers problems

Posted by Babych 
Installing Firmware/drivers problems
May 02, 2015 12:39PM
I have built myself a 3d printer. The style is like a prusa. I am using a Windows 8 computer. The hardware I have purchased are

Reprap Ramps 1.4 Kit mega 2560 r3, mkb2 heatbed, 12864 LCD controller, DRV 8825 modules
Heatbed thermistor - NTC 100k ohm 3950 - 1% sensor
Nema 17 12v 2800g.cm 1.8 Wantai stepper motor
J-Head hotend - 100k NTC B 3950 thermistor, 12v 40w, 1.75, .3mm nozzle
GT2 - Belts, 20 Teeth Pulleys 2mm pitch OD 12.22mm

I am powering it by a 12volt pc powersupply.

I have used the Arduino Mega 2560 blink test and it works fine.

I am having a problem getting the steppers to move. I can get the hotend to turn on and off and it heats up and cycles on and off to keep the temperature right.

I dont have the ramps in backwards and checked wiring. I have tried a few different firmwares, sprinter and marlin.

Any help would be great.
Re: Installing Firmware/drivers problems
May 06, 2015 01:56AM
I have tried to contact the seller of the boards and get some help, not much there... Then they sent me a message about if I got the board working and I said that I have not and I am getting tired of trying and I am ordering some new ones and their reply was "Good, then you order again"

I ordered from AliExpress.com user Super seller For Arduino&3D. I would not recommend buying from them.
May 06, 2015 03:45AM
Why would the seller of the board have to help with the firmware? confused smiley

Did you connect your endstops? Did you check the endstop status with M119?
[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 03:46AM by Frans@France.
May 06, 2015 09:52AM
Yes I did check end stops and they came back all open, They are all hooked up. I think the problem is in the board. It doesnt look like I am getting power to the ramps. The heatbed and hot end both work. I spent a couple hours the with a few guys trying all the firmware settings and nothing.
May 06, 2015 11:04AM
If there was no power to the ramps then the hotend and heatbed would also not work. Which firmware are you using? Did you set the correct board type if using marlin? Did you set the jumpers for the microsteps?
May 06, 2015 08:13PM
I have tried sprinter and marlin. Right now I am trying marlin 1.0.1. I have set the board to BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB. I changed the baud to 115200, I was getting garbage with it at 250000. The hotend a heatbed sensors are set to 11. The graphic controller is set at #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER and the U8glib was added to the library. I have tried with the graphic controller connected and not connected. The screen on the controller displays all the lines and looks like it was working fine. I have the jumpers set for 1/32 I believe. I did try with all jumpers on and all off. Pins on all three sets of pins. I did not change anything in the firmware for the stepps, I did not see anywhere to do that.

Anything that I am missing?

I also have run the arduino blinking test program and it worked fine. There was also a firmware program that turns all the motors, hotend and heatbed on and off. There were two flasing light near the outside of the board and 1 in the lower middle. The heatbed and hotend heated up but no movement from any of the motors.
May 07, 2015 06:51AM
Did you place the steppers in the correct orientation? [reprap.org]
May 08, 2015 09:46AM
I think I have figured it out. One of the soldered pins did not have any solder on it. I also replaced one of the diodes. My printer has life. I have played with the firmware so much I have to start with a clean version and hopefully get it printing this weekend. smiling smiley
May 08, 2015 03:37PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login