Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help please. Marlin errors

Posted by RGN01 
Help please. Marlin errors
May 17, 2015 02:27AM
I hope someone can help. This is my first printer so I am probably doing something very basic incorrectly but I simply can't see what!

I have one of these [createc3d.com] except that I have the E3D 1.75mm direct hotend.

I have assembled the printer and all went well with the mechanical parts. I’m now trying to load Marlin and failing dismally!

I am using Windows 7 and have downloaded and installed a clean, new copy of 1.6.4 and am trying to compile and use this file that was supplied by the kit supplier [drive.google.com]
My most recent attempt followed this process:
• Uninstall Arduino
• Re-install to d:\Arduino
• Extract Marlin_E3D_175mm.rar to d:\Arduino\sketch\Marlin175E3D
• Open Arduino
• Sketch folder set to d:\Arduino\Sketch
• File, Sketchbook, Marlin175E3D (it opens)
• Click tick to verify and it hangs after displaying many errors

And it failed with the screenshot attached.

At some point the compile must have completed OK as the LCD works and I can autohome etc. from it. The thermistors must be incorrectly configured because they report 389°C at room temperature and decrease when warmed up. The printer is disabled because of this ‘over temperature’ situation so I can’t control it via Repetier, but can read the temperatures etc.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have a working configuration that I can download and use to get this printer running, please?
Thanks.

Richard
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin175E3D_Error_01.png (104.5 KB)
Re: Help please. Marlin errors
May 17, 2015 05:53AM
I've now found the debug feature in Arduino and this is what it returns when I try to compile:

Loading configuration...
Initializing packages...
Preparing boards...
Starting...

cardreader.cpp: In member function 'void CardReadereye popping smileypenFile(char*, bool, bool)
':
cardreader.cpp:301:25: warning: ordered comparison of pointer with integer zero
[-Wextra]
while(dirname_start>0)
^
cardreader.cpp:306:22: warning: ordered comparison of pointer with integer zero
[-Wextra]
if(dirname_end>0 && dirname_end>dirname_start)
^
cardreader.cpp: In member function 'void CardReader::removeFile(char*)':
cardreader.cpp:397:25: warning: ordered comparison of pointer with integer zero
[-Wextra]
while(dirname_start>0)
^
cardreader.cpp:402:22: warning: ordered comparison of pointer with integer zero
[-Wextra]
if(dirname_end>0 && dirname_end>dirname_start)
^
cardreader.cpp: In member function 'void CardReader::updir()':
cardreader.cpp:608:25: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer e
xpressions [-Wsign-compare]
for (int d = 0; d < workDirDepth; d++)
^
cardreader.cpp:607:9: warning: unused variable 'd' [-Wunused-variable]
int d;
^
In file included from cardreader.cpp:3:0:
ultralcd.h: At global scope:
ultralcd.h:20:24: warning: 'blink' defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
static unsigned char blink = 0; // Variable for visualisation of fan rotation
in GLCD
^
In file included from ConfigurationStore.cpp:4:0:
in GLCD
^
LiquidCrystalRus.cpp:104:6: warning: unused parameter 'cols' [-Wunused-parameter
]
void LiquidCrystalRus::begin(uint8_t cols, uint8_t lines, uint8_t dotsize) {
^
Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void process_commands()':
Marlin_main.cpp:2849:15: warning: variable 'make_move' set but not used [-Wunuse
d-but-set-variable]
boolean make_move = false;
^
Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void get_coordinates()':
Marlin_main.cpp:2967:8: warning: variable 'seen' set but not used [-Wunused-but-
set-variable]
bool seen[4]={false,false,false,false};
^
In file included from Marlin_main.cpp:39:0:
in GLCD
^
planner.cpp:243:6: warning: unused parameter 'previous' [-Wunused-parameter]
void planner_reverse_pass_kernel(block_t *previous, block_t *current, block_t *
next) {
^
planner.cpp:294:6: warning: unused parameter 'next' [-Wunused-parameter]
void planner_forward_pass_kernel(block_t *previous, block_t *current, block_t *
next) {
^
In file included from planner.cpp:58:0:
in GLCD
^
stepper.cpp:1182:6: warning: unused parameter 'address' [-Wunused-parameter]
void digitalPotWrite(int address, int value) // From Arduino DigitalPotControl
example
^
stepper.cpp:1182:6: warning: unused parameter 'value' [-Wunused-parameter]
stepper.cpp:1216:6: warning: unused parameter 'driver' [-Wunused-parameter]
void digipot_current(uint8_t driver, int current)
^
stepper.cpp:1216:6: warning: unused parameter 'current' [-Wunused-parameter]
In file included from stepper.cpp:28:0:
in GLCD
^
temperature.cpp: In function 'void __vector_22()':
temperature.cpp:1040:24: warning: variable 'raw_temp_2_value' set but not used [
-Wunused-but-set-variable]
static unsigned long raw_temp_2_value = 0;
^
temperature.cpp: In function 'void disable_heater()':
temperature.cpp:912:25: warning: array subscript is above array bounds [-Warray-
bounds]
target_temperature[1]=0;
^
temperature.cpp:913:15: warning: array subscript is above array bounds [-Warray-
bounds]
soft_pwm[1]=0;
^
In file included from temperature.cpp:33:0:
in GLCD
^

And that is where it hangs.

It seems that there are a number of issues but this is way over my head at the moment! confused smiley

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Richard
May 17, 2015 06:44AM
I've now tested this on a Win XP machine. Again, full, new installation of Arduino and same results.

There must be something wrong or missing in that distribution I've been sent, I guess, but my Arduino skills simply aren't up to debugging this at present. confused smiley

Richard
May 17, 2015 07:39AM
These are all warnings generated by the compiler and do not prevent the compilation of Marlin (see the warning keyword that appears in each of them?).
May 17, 2015 07:47AM
Hi Andrew. Thanks for the response. It freezes and does not continue when I try to compile or upload. This is the last thing it displays when run under debug conditions. I've left it for about an hour and it never proceeded from that position.

Richard
May 17, 2015 09:11AM
I've tried again - this time running Arduino as Administrator to eliminate any possibility of permissions errors (a long shot, I know!) and an hour later it hasn't moved on.

This screenshot is after an hour of no progress.

I just don't know what to try next. confused smiley

Richard
Attachments:
open | download - ArduinoError02.png (57.8 KB)
May 17, 2015 10:27AM
RGN01
Hi Andrew. Thanks for the response. It freezes and does not continue when I try to compile or upload. This is the last thing it displays when run under debug conditions. I've left it for about an hour and it never proceeded from that position.

Richard
@Richard

Look for an error keyword amid the warning messages spilled out by the compiler (you can scroll in the compiler messages window pane), that will tell you exactly where the problem is. Also, please do not post the long error log inline, use an attached file, it makes it easier to analyze.

Don't worry, this is the kind of thing that is easy to fix - once you have provided all the information required by other people to see where the problem is and understand it!
May 17, 2015 11:08AM
Thanks, Andrew!

My apologies - I won't do that again (long inline log file).

That is the problem, there is no error keyword. The attached file is the most recent log. I ran Arduino_debug as Administrator and this is what the console / command window showed (in the attached log file) - it hung at this point and there was nothing further in the log.

As far as I can tell, the text in the debug windows is exactly the same as in orange in the black screen at the bottom of the compiler window but I found that I could not copy that orange text.

I've tried researching what causes the Arduino compiler to hang but drawn a blank so far. I'm reasonably comfortable with the Arduino and the compiler - I've created numerous projects to do things like read settings from SD card then move servos to preset positions read from the card etc. so this problem has me stumped and frustrated (apologies if that is coming across!).

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 11:11AM by RGN01.
Attachments:
open | download - ArduinoErrorLog01.txt (4.9 KB)
May 17, 2015 03:00PM
I uninstalled Arduino 1.6.4 and installed Arduino 1.0.5-r2 and it works. I did exactly what I did all the other times with v1.6.4, using the same version of Marlin etc. so there must be some kind of incompatibility between Marlin and Arduino v1.6.4.

Oh, well, at least it is working.

Richard
May 17, 2015 07:53PM
There you go! Congratulations! And indeed, Marlin has been reported on numerous occasions to not compile with Arduino versions > 1.06. smileys with beer
May 17, 2015 09:36PM
I had that problem once, and had to destroy all my local data for Arduino, and then reestablish . . . it appeared that some old libraries were there that borked the newer versions. Having said that, once I did that, I have had zero failures with 1.6.3 . . . Since this is user data, and not part of the Arduino software itself, reinstalling basically does nothing . . . you need to 'deep clean' first.

I've built 1.0.0, 1.0.2, 1.0.3-dev, and the Wurstnasse port of 1.0.3 to Due with no issues . . .

- Tim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2015 09:38PM by tadawson.
May 18, 2015 01:19AM
AndrewBCN
There you go! Congratulations! And indeed, Marlin has been reported on numerous occasions to not compile with Arduino versions > 1.06. smileys with beer

The problem was that I hadn't seen that anywhere and assumed that it would be a good thing to upgrade Arduino when it offered the new version to me. Lesson learned!

Tim, I did a deep clean - removed the entire Arduino directory with all my sketches and everything. I have a backup of these on an entirely different drive - a NAS device not currently mapped - so know that they weren't interfering.

Richard
May 18, 2015 05:55AM
RGN01
AndrewBCN

The problem was that I hadn't seen that anywhere and assumed that it would be a good thing to upgrade Arduino when it offered the new version to me. Lesson learned!
Richard,
Indeed there was a warning about known-to-work Arduino versions in the Marlin GitHub repository but the warning was removed sometime ago and it's nowhere to be found in the new Marlin documentation website.
June 07, 2015 02:28PM
This is worth knowing as I have just installed 1.6 but I also have 1.04 and 1.5
June 07, 2015 02:43PM
I have some of the same issue. But it's more or less independent of the Arduino version. On Linux I have no issue with 1.5.8, 1.6.3 or 1.6.4. On Windows it's completely different. Some branches without issue, some don't work with any Arduino version and some work with some versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2015 02:44PM by Wurstnase.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login