Advanced

Error -When uploading motherboard

Posted by montyram 
Error -When uploading motherboard
July 18, 2010 05:19PM
I am running Xubuntu 10.04 Kernel Linux 2.6.32-23
Basic RepRap bootloaded with usbtinyisp said ok
I built my own motherboard.
When I upload FiveD_GCode_interpreter Arduino says "Problem uploading to board."
and in the window
"Binary sketch size: 20954 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)"

"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

I have used the reset button before, after, etc same thing.
I have looked at the motherboard with magnified glass, and measured resistance between the atmega644 ic.
The extruder board uploaded fine!

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Monty
Re: Error -When uploading motherboard
July 18, 2010 05:34PM
When I was having that problem, I changed the programmer in the ardunio configuration to ardunio as the programmer rather than stk500, but then I was using a techzone board rather than one I have made myself

David
July 18, 2010 06:53PM
For uploading you have to make sure ...

... the port is actually free. No other softwares, like the host software should be running.

... you have choosen the right board in menu -> Tools -> Board in the Arduino IDE.

... you have choosen the right port in menu -> Tools -> Serial Port.

For some boards, unplugging, waiting five seconds an re-plugging the board helps. Another trick is to press the reset button for a moment as soon as the "binary sketch size" message appears.

If that still doesn't work, try with the Blink example in menu -> File -> Example -> Digital -> Blink. You'll get help in the Arduino forums to get that running, if it doesn't. As you've built your board yourself, you might have to upload the bootloader, first.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 19, 2010 10:36AM
David, where do you change the programmer from stk500 to ardunio?

Markus, the port is free, the board is Sanguino, the port is /dev/ttyUSB0, and I have unplugged the USB and waited - used the reset in all different timing modes and still get the same error. The first thing I did was upload the bootloader with usbtinyisp and that did fine. I upload the bootloader and uploaded the extruder program to the extruder board and that worked fine (different board selected) . I tried the blink example and got the same error "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Monty
July 19, 2010 11:09AM
1. Make sure you have selected the correct board type (Sanquino apparently in your case).
2. Make sure you have selected the correct serial port (you say /dev/ttyUSB0).
3. After compiling press the upload button and then immediately press and hold the reset button on your board until you see the uploading message in the command window THEN release the reset button.

If this doesn't work then there is a good chance that you have a bad board/chip.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 19, 2010 03:45PM
The configuration files, assuming that you have installed the Ardunio IDE from the ubuntu repository and that you have followed the install instructions for Sangunio support is in

/usr/share/arduino/hardware/Sanguino

You need to change the board.txt file

(If you don't have this directory, or have not installed the Sanguino support, I would recommend that install Sanguino support for the IDE first (details on sanguino.cc)

David

David
July 19, 2010 04:13PM
David, That did it, at least it said done downloading with no errors. The red debug light is blinking on the motherboard I hope that is OK! I'll try testing it and see. Thanks much smiling smiley
Monty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login