Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin and delta setup question

Posted by o_lampe 
Marlin and delta setup question
August 13, 2015 03:06AM
Hi guys,
for financial reasons, I´ll start running my kossel800 delta using marlin on a ramps/Mega/LCD2004 combo.
I started looking into the configuration.h for deltas and was able to identify most of the required parameters.

Only the z-height is a mystery to me.
The endstops will home at the top, but where do I tell Marlin what distance to the printbed this is?

All I found was this:
//Manual homing switch locations:

#define MANUAL_HOME_POSITIONS  // MANUAL_*_HOME_POS below will be used
// For deltabots this means top and center of the Cartesian print volume.
#define MANUAL_X_HOME_POS 0
#define MANUAL_Y_HOME_POS 0
#define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 250 // For delta: Distance between nozzle and print surface after homing.

But what for do I have a microswitch on the effector? How do I tell marlin to set z-zero to that level?
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 03:06AM by o_lampe.
Re: Marlin and delta setup question
August 13, 2015 05:02PM
That's it right there . . . . Deltas home to X=0, Y=0, Z=max . . . Z=0 is the bed, so you effectively tell it where max (at the endstops) is. Don't confuse tower X,Y,Z with cartesian X,Y,Z. . .

- Tim
August 14, 2015 03:25AM
Then the effector switch is used for ABL only?
I downloaded Marlin 1.1 today and see if I can make it work. My 1.02 delta version had no ABL-section....
-Olaf
Is there a special branch of marlin, that works best for deltas? I´ve also seen Rich Catells Marlin branch but the files were 2 years old?!
August 14, 2015 12:47PM
You have Johann's fork of Marlin which used to track the main Marlin development tree, but did not incorporate Rich Cattell's autocalibration.

Then I believe Johann's code was completely merged into Marlin (I am not 100% sure about that, though). Unfortunately as far as I know Rich Cattell's branch was never merged into mainline Marlin.

I started working on merging Rich's fork with Johann's fork and have a github repository for that work (just check under AndrewBCN on GitHub). It needs more testing but I haven't had time to work on it lately.

The idea is to merge this fork into mainline Marlin and Marlin4Due (32 bits) some time in the future... when I have time. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 12:48PM by AndrewBCN.
August 14, 2015 01:48PM
Yes, the effector switch is ABL only, and in that case, the fixed parameters you quoted get it close, and probing 'dials it in'.
This works with 1.0.3 . . . I never bothered with 1.0.2 myself . . .

- Tim

o_lampe
Then the effector switch is used for ABL only?
I downloaded Marlin 1.1 today and see if I can make it work. My 1.02 delta version had no ABL-section....
-Olaf
Is there a special branch of marlin, that works best for deltas? I´ve also seen Rich Catells Marlin branch but the files were 2 years old?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 01:49PM by tadawson.
August 15, 2015 02:39AM
tadawson
Yes, the effector switch is ABL only, and in that case, the fixed parameters you quoted get it close, and probing 'dials it in'.
This works with 1.0.3 . . . I never bothered with 1.0.2 myself . . .

- Tim

If I send a "G0 Fxxxx Z0 S1 //move with endstop-check" the effector switch wouldn´t stop the nozzle from cracking the glassbed?
I better start with a manual z-height way above the real distance, then...
...and use a cardboard bed for first tests, too sad smiley
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2015 02:40AM by o_lampe.
August 15, 2015 02:45AM
AndrewBCN
You have Johann's fork of Marlin which used to track the main Marlin development tree, but did not incorporate Rich Cattell's autocalibration.

Then I believe Johann's code was completely merged into Marlin (I am not 100% sure about that, though). Unfortunately as far as I know Rich Cattell's branch was never merged into mainline Marlin.

I started working on merging Rich's fork with Johann's fork and have a github repository for that work (just check under AndrewBCN on GitHub). It needs more testing but I haven't had time to work on it lately.

The idea is to merge this fork into mainline Marlin and Marlin4Due (32 bits) some time in the future... when I have time. confused smiley

They are currently busy with debugging the ABL code, I hope your work isn´t obsolete then? sad smiley
I´d like to try Marlin4 Due one day, especially when it would work on one of the cheap all_in_one due boards ( replikeo, MKS SBase )
-Olaf
August 15, 2015 03:48PM
Nope. You need to set the overall height correctly, and then if you want to prevent travel t onegative Z, enable soft endstops. By definition, the probe *must* be lower than the nozzle in order be able to probe, so Z=0 will push the probe through the bed. And when not probing, it should be retracted to it doesn't snag the print, rendering it useless anyhoo . . .

- Tim
August 16, 2015 02:34AM
Then I´m in trouble, because my nozzle is the probe.
I`m using this effector, which is a clean and easy solution without servo and allen key hack. ( If I can make it work with marlin )
I tested the "S1" option and the steppers started to stutter a bit, when I triggered the endstop, but they didn´t stop ( Marlin 1.03 dev )
I hoped this would be a clever way to measure the nozzle/bed distance after G28-homing.
I`ll try to issue a fake G29 ABL and see, if the probe switch is setup correctly.
-Olaf
August 17, 2015 12:47PM
#define DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND 200

How many segments can I actually ask from a Mega2560? I tried it with 160, but flipping through the LCD2004 menue was almost impossible then.
Or are there other parameters I should reduce to keep the default 200 segments?
What happens, when I print very fast? Will marlin reduce segments or reduce speed?
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 12:51PM by o_lampe.
August 17, 2015 09:26PM
o_lampe
Then I´m in trouble, because my nozzle is the probe.
I`m using this effector, which is a clean and easy solution without servo and allen key hack. ( If I can make it work with marlin )
I tested the "S1" option and the steppers started to stutter a bit, when I triggered the endstop, but they didn´t stop ( Marlin 1.03 dev )
I hoped this would be a clever way to measure the nozzle/bed distance after G28-homing.
I`ll try to issue a fake G29 ABL and see, if the probe switch is setup correctly.
-Olaf

That should work . . . I was more talking to deploy/retract probes that require clearance . . .

- Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login