Bossa (Mac) not recognizing Duet
October 18, 2015 10:28AM
Hi

I hope this is in the right place..

I have difficulties getting started with the Duet boards. I installed Bossa 1.2.1 on my mac (dragged the Bossa.app into the apps folder and bossac and bossash into the bin folder) and connected the duet with the USB and pushed the Erase and Reset buttons but the board just doesn't show up. Instead I get the error message saying "Could not connect to device on *port name*" Should I do something else? I have been checking on forums about flashing the Duets and things get really tricky looking and rather confusing grinning smiley

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2015 10:29AM by PropellerHat.
Re: Bossa (Mac) not recognizing Duet
October 18, 2015 12:32PM
Personally I use the bossac command included in Arduino IDE. Flashed my Fisher 3-4 times with and no problem at all

You can find more infos on the dedicated page (even for mac) : Duet - Updating the firmware
October 18, 2015 12:35PM
Where did you get Bossa from? The one downloaded from Shumatech is old and doesn't work with the atsam3x8e processor. You need the modified one that is included with the Arduino Due support in the Arduino IDE.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 18, 2015 01:23PM
From Shumatech, of course grinning smiley So it is already in Arduino Ide, like 1.6.4? Is this a right version to use for flashing Duet?
October 18, 2015 01:58PM
PropellerHat
From Shumatech, of course grinning smiley So it is already in Arduino Ide, like 1.6.4? Is this a right version to use for flashing Duet?

1.6.1 because bossac command was removed from newer versions
October 18, 2015 02:14PM
If you use a version of Arduino later than 1.6.1 then you need to install support for the Arduino Due using the Board Manager. Then search for where it has put bossac.

I saw a post on the Arduino forum several weeks ago in which someone claimed to have rebuilt Bossa for the Mac from the latest Shumatech sources. So there may be an alternative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2015 02:14PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 19, 2015 03:52AM
All right, thanks! There it is where supposed in 1.6.1 indeed. Maybe now things start to roll...
October 19, 2015 05:49AM
dc42
If you use a version of Arduino later than 1.6.1 then you need to install support for the Arduino Due using the Board Manager
Yesterday I downloaded 1.6.1 to get the bossac.exe. I was a bit pi$$ed, because I had to download a huuuge sw pack only to get 835k bossac. ( I already have arduinoIDE 1.6.5 installed )

David, would you mind adding this info to your blog according to above quote?
Also some github links in your blog lead to outdated files ( sys folder 0.78 )

Big thanks from a soon_to_be duet user smiling smiley
-Olaf
October 19, 2015 07:34AM
I have just made some updates to that blog entry. Let me know if you find anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2015 07:34AM by dc42.

December 16, 2015 09:11AM
I've been having similar issues trying to flash my Duet on Windows 7. Having downloaded Arduino version 1.6.6 and added SAM support, I couldn't find bossac.exe in the path

C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.6.1-arduino\bossac.exe

So I downloaded BOSSA from ShumaTech, but when run I got the message "No device found on COM18"

I ran the following line with the debug option, which showed the true error : Unsupported processor, as DC42 says above.

bossac -d -i -p COM18

Set binary mode
readWord(addr=0)=0x20001000
readWord(addr=0x400e0740)=0
chipId=00000000
Unsupported processor
No device found on COM18

I went back and downloaded Arduino 1.6.1, but still no bossac version in AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac

This being windows I went back and had a look in AppData\Local\ and found a bossac tarball at

C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\Arduino15\staging\packages\bossac-1.6.1-arduino-mingw32.tar.gz

Opening this with 7-Zip led me to a bossac.exe that worked. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 09:12AM by gowen.
December 16, 2015 05:14PM
The original Shumatech bossa program doesn't work with Arduino Due or the Duet. There is an Arduino branch in their repo that probably does, but no pre-built binaries, and no build instructions.

With recent versions of Arduino, the Due is not supported by default. You need to go into Board Manager and add support for it. This will install the working version of bossac, however it doesn't put it in the default path.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login