Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis steps per mm value ignored

Posted by pengpengpete 
Z axis steps per mm value ignored
November 18, 2015 12:30PM
Hi everybody,

I'm building a MendelMax 1.0 and I think I'm almost there. Frame, all axes and the electronics are set up (no extruder yet). I use the Repetier software (host and firmware) and all steppers are moving. Problem is the Z axis, which moves far too little. After some research I figured out, that the value of ZAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM was set too low for the leadscrew Z axis. I changed it from 80 to 2560, but after uploading the compiled firmware to the Arduino (2560 Mega, RAMPS 1.4) the Z Axis stepper still doesn't move further. Any ideas what I'm missing?

Cheers,
Peter
Re: Z axis steps per mm value ignored
November 18, 2015 12:53PM
If you have EEPROM enabled, you need to reset the contents of the EEPROM to the new values with M502 (load firmware default values) followed by M500 (save current values in EEPROM).
November 18, 2015 03:51PM
Where in the world would I find that? Thanks a lot, it works!
November 20, 2015 01:09AM
pengpengpete
Enif actually said it, but it can be a Little hard when you do not know what he talks about smiling smiley

1. Upload new firmware to your printer as you always do.
  2. Connecto to printer using Pronterfae, Repetier or similar program where you can issue Terminal commands (gcodes)
  3. Send code M502 to the pritner - this one loads the firmware into memory (I might use wrong terms here)
  4. Issue M500 to the printer which saves the loaded data to Eeprom

When eeprom is enabled the printer is going to use the data in eeprom instead of firmware.. this way you can change eeprom settings in programs like Repetier-host instead of having to change firmware.

I personally like to hardcode everythig in firmware and then just use eeprom for small changes (variables) like z-offset.

Edit: Point 3 and 4 was in reverse. I have corrected the typo
Edited: inserted explanation to make sure there is no misunderstandings:
The "Reverts to..." means it loads from firmware.
From Merlin Firmware
// EEPROM
// The microcontroller can store settings in the EEPROM, e.g. max velocity...
// M500 - stores parameters in EEPROM
// M501 - reads parameters from EEPROM (if you need reset them after you changed them temporarily).
// M502 - reverts to the default "factory settings". You still need to store them in EEPROM afterwards if you want to.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 03:58AM by dintid.
November 20, 2015 03:17AM
Thanks a lot for further elaborating. Now I understand what I was doing smiling smiley

I guess all the information can be found on the reprap Wiki pages or here in the forum. It's just hard sometimes to find the specific information for the specific setup I have at home.
November 20, 2015 03:41AM
dintid
pengpengpete
Enif actually said it, but it can be a Little hard when you do not know what he talks about smiling smiley

2. Connecto to printer using Pronterfae, Repetier or similar program where you can issue Terminal commands (gcodes)
  3. Send code M500 to the pritner - this one loads the firmware into memory (I might use wrong terms here)
  4. Issue M502 to the printer which saves the loaded data to Eeprom

When eeprom is enabled the printer is going to use the data in eeprom instead of firmware.. this way you can change eeprom settings in programs like Repetier-host instead of having to change firmware.

I personally like to hardcode everythig in firmware and then just use eeprom for small changes (variables) like z-offset.

Check your facts before posting grinning smiley winking smiley

Points 3 and 4 are wrong. See M500 explanation.
-Olaf
November 20, 2015 03:42AM
pengpengpete
Thanks a lot for further elaborating. Now I understand what I was doing smiling smiley

I guess all the information can be found on the reprap Wiki pages or here in the forum. It's just hard sometimes to find the specific information for the specific setup I have at home.
Couldn't agree more.
It can be very difficult finding the relevant information, and when you do find it, it can be really hard to actually garner anything usefull from it, as it requires a certain level of knowledge to actually use the info.

I know it not directly pertains to the issue at hand, but I've made a few instructables for 3D printers, where I've tried using a language for the general non-Electronics geeks smiling smiley
The newest one is about endstops [www.instructables.com]
November 20, 2015 03:53AM
o_lampe
dintid
pengpengpete

3. Send code M500 to the pritner - this one loads the firmware into memory (I might use wrong terms here)
  4. Issue M502 to the printer which saves the loaded data to Eeprom

Check your facts before posting grinning smiley winking smiley

Points 3 and 4 are wrong. See M500 explanation.
-Olaf
wow, talk about being hostile. - I know you´use smileys. I just don't like that way to "correct" people without actually giving the correct answer.

I just typed them in reverse.. I have edited the error..

If you truely wanted to help, you could have posted the correct usage instead of linking to information the original poster (and most other people) have problems understanding. This is the very reason it is so hard for new people to get started.

Here is the correct usage taken from Merlin firmware - much easier to understand than the RepRapWiki . The "Reverts" Means it loads from firmware.
// Marlin-firmware
// EEPROM
// The microcontroller can store settings in the EEPROM, e.g. max velocity...
// M500 - stores parameters in EEPROM
// M501 - reads parameters from EEPROM (if you need reset them after you changed them temporarily).
// M502 - reverts to the default "factory settings". You still need to store them in EEPROM afterwards if you want to.

edited for understanding

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 03:56AM by dintid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login