DC42 Reprap firmware M109 behavior
January 19, 2016 11:50PM
Just reporting in some more on the "wait for tool to heat up" issue.

Repetier sends this Gcode
; Activate all used extruder
M104 T0 S240
G92 E0 ; Reset extruder position
; Wait for all used extruders to reach temperature
M109 T0 S240

I see in GCodes.cpp M104 and M109 are marked as deprecated.

Since the other open source printer host software relies on Marlin standard Gcode to work according to Marlin's spec, M109 should report back T: E: W: every 1 second while heating bed and hot end.

It seems that all the firmware is sending back is "Heater 0 is on" being echoed out of "PID:confused smileywitchOn()" function in Heat.cpp
Re: DC42 Reprap firmware M109 behavior
January 20, 2016 02:09PM
Hi tazzbot,

Thanks for tracking this down.

If you are aware of any specification for Marlin, please send me a link to it. I think it used to live on marlinfirmware.org, but that site is no longer available. I did find [github.com] but there is no mention of continuous reporting of the temperature. It's also not mentioned at [reprap.org]. If I am going to make a change, I would prefer to work with a published specification.

You might consider asking Repetier to change to using a published specification to query the temperature, such as M105.

- David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: DC42 Reprap firmware M109 behavior
January 20, 2016 08:25PM
I found the code and "specification" actually in Marlin_Main.cpp

On the Gcodes wikipedia it just says Set temp and wait. Fair enough.

[github.com], lines 3922 - 3953

Honestly, it is not a huge issue, except for the display. However, since I'm not using the web interface, I'm wondering if it is reporting temp during heat up as well, because I do not see any code that does this. It is mildly interesting to know if the printer is about to start printing, or for the people who have nothing better to do than watch something heat up...

If i figure out a code change I'll send it.

Regards,
Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login