Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Install Ramps into Ultimaker2 - possible?

Posted by MaxWin 
Install Ramps into Ultimaker2 - possible?
February 23, 2016 12:49PM
Hello,

i am thinking of a project, but nobody seems to have ever thought of this eye rolling smiley

I would like to have an Ramps (or similar) in my Ultimaker2. This shouldn't be such a big problem since Marlin is good and well programmed, but the only thing i see is the LCD Display. This seems not implemented.
I am not that hard Arduino programmer that i can just merge that two different firmwares, they both went to far from each other.

So, how can i implement the Ultimaker2 LCD to work with a regular Marlin firmware? smiling smiley

Greetings
Max
Re: Install Ramps into Ultimaker2 - possible?
February 25, 2016 02:13PM
Edit: why on Earth use ramps instead of Ulticontroller but keep the little display? No gain here. At all. And an expensivr move to boot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 02:15PM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
February 29, 2016 04:25PM
dintid
Edit: why on Earth use ramps instead of Ulticontroller but keep the little display? No gain here. At all. And an expensivr move to boot.

Gains: Possible use of automatic Fan controll, and - for me the most important - use of SilentStepStick Stepper Drivers - they are incredible!
February 29, 2016 10:18PM
maybe a gt2560 controller would be better... pin compatible (MOTHERBOARD 7)

and plug in stepper modules

not sure what display a real Ulticontroller uses.... so cant comment on that.

NB people have reported issues with bed fuse holder... best to replace that holder at the start.
March 01, 2016 01:32AM
MaxWin
dintid

Gains: Possible use of automatic Fan controll, and - for me the most important - use of SilentStepStick Stepper Drivers - they are incredible!
I use silent-stepsticks, and yes, they are awesome... on many controller you can use your own custom step-Sticks though, so you can use a different controller than ramps.
Here is their "flat" version of Ramps: 3Dprinter RepRap control board MKS Gen V1.4 Mega2560 R3 integrated mainboard compatible Ramps1.4 with usb support a4988/DRV8825 Please not that I have not tried this, and haven't read about it. Just found it for this one post.
There are other more widely known models out there.. I just posted this as I was looking to find their display to post for you smiling smiley

I AM using Ramps with my UM2 clones and they Work fine.. problem is how heigh they are, so they can't fit under the bottom... meaning you either have to make higher feets or Mount it on the rear of it...

If you use Ramps, then I'll recommend the touch-display from Maker Base - TFT28 - 1 wire bundle to AUX1, no firmwaresetup. Just Works.
Can be used if you later upgrade controller as well (see list on their site).

I made a simple MKS TFT28 and TFT32 LCD mountplate

I'm planning to use one of their MKS Sbase 1.2 boards to test it soon.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
March 02, 2016 11:26AM
thanks for that information with the display - seems like a nice replacement if i can not get the original to work.
I mean it must work - but with a lot of effort. and since i mostly use octorpint it is not that important.

I have some sort of Vibration-Feet under my printer, so height is not the problem at all. Maybe i will just go for it, and see how it will come out smiling smiley
March 02, 2016 03:53PM
MaxWin
thanks for that information with the display - seems like a nice replacement if i can not get the original to work.
I mean it must work - but with a lot of effort. and since i mostly use octorpint it is not that important.

I have some sort of Vibration-Feet under my printer, so height is not the problem at all. Maybe i will just go for it, and see how it will come out smiling smiley
If you allready have bought the display, then go for it. I just seem to remember having read somewhere, that it uses different voltage than normal ramps (which runs stuff on 5v). Maybe look it up on youmagine.com - must be some schematics somehwere, as it is open source.

If you havn't bought the original yet, then I'd recommend the touchy tft. Just so much nice to use. Very fast to preheat, stop, start etc - unless you ALWAYS use Octoprint, and mostly just want the small display for the looks (which I also can understand to a certain degree smiling smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 03:54PM by dintid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login