Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Build terminated Abnormally" - can't figure out why.

Posted by scrub 
"Build terminated Abnormally" - can't figure out why.
March 20, 2016 04:00AM
I'm about as smart as a bag of rocks when it comes to firmware/software trouble-shooting.
I'm making myself my first 3D printer and decided to use the Teacup firmware, all went well untill i tried to build.
My settings look exactly the same as the ones here : [reprap.org] . The only diffence being that i have my arduino directory field empty, in which case it should find the needed files automatically.
I did everything as the install tutorial says but can't figure out how to fix this issue, as i try to build it stops and gives me a "Build terminated Abnormally" message.
Re: "Build terminated Abnormally" - can't figure out why.
March 20, 2016 06:21AM
Fill in the directory location

I don’t believe it searches for you, it just uses the info you enter.
March 20, 2016 07:52AM
scrub
The only diffence being that i have my arduino directory field empty, in which case it should find the needed files automatically.

With this field empty, system means are used, i.e. the PATH variable. Just as if you'd type "avr-gcc" on the command line.

scrub
as i try to build it stops and gives me a "Build terminated Abnormally" message.

What's the message above this?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 24, 2016 03:44PM
Well i fixed and rather easily, just by uninstalling the newest version of arduino IDE and installing 1.0.6, but some other problems have surfaced and that has to do with communicating with arduino nano, now it builds fine but when i hit upload i get "timeout communicating with programmer" message.
What makes this very unusual in my opinion is that i can upload arduino sketches without any problems but the teacup firmware can't do that although it uses the same directories as arduino.
Could this be a little setup option hiding somewhere ?
March 26, 2016 12:56PM
Just had an "eureka" moment, as i was thinking of what could be wrong with the arduino i glanced and looked at the build message.

Link completed normally.

ATmega... '168 '328(P) '644(P) '1280
FLASH: 19732 bytes 137.64% 64.23% 31.08% 15.29%
RAM: 1267 bytes 123.73% 61.87% 30.93% 15.47%
EEPROM: 32 bytes 3.12% 1.56% 1.56% 0.78%

Build completed normally.
From what i know arduino works by the bootloader taking data and saving it into EEPROM and then execute the commands that are in the EEPROM, but here i see that the teacup firmware mostly takes up flash, which can only be programmed externally, so that tells me that when i upload i reflash the bootloader and it's not a sketch that i'm uploading, d-oh !
So i'll have to dig up my USBasp and get that build uploaded.
March 27, 2016 08:08AM
scrub
From what i know arduino works by the bootloader taking data and saving it into EEPROM and then execute the commands that are in the EEPROM, but here i see that the teacup firmware mostly takes up flash, which can only be programmed externally, so that tells me that when i upload i reflash the bootloader and it's not a sketch that i'm uploading, d-oh !

Uhm. Looks like you're a bit confused. First of all, a "sketch" is compiled into a binary just like any other piece of code. Actually it's straight C code which follows a few conventions for making it compatible with the Arduino library.

Executable binaries are always programmed into Flash. A bootloader does this directly, without touching EEPROM.

EEPROM is pure data storage. It can be programmed by the bootloader, too, but bytes there aren't executable.

Regarding the problem, Teacup uses the very same 'avrdude' executable Arduino uses. If one works, but the other doesn't, it's a difference in parameters given to avrdude. Arduino IDE has a preferences setting to show more verbosely how stuff is compiled and uploaded. Turn this on and look which parameters Arduino executes avrdude with, then go to Configtool settings and make it the same. Likely it's a different -c parameter, which tells avrdude the type of programming device/bootloader to assume.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 24, 2016 05:03PM
Traumflug
scrub

Uhm. Looks like you're a bit confused. First of all, a "sketch" is compiled into a binary just like any other piece of code. Actually it's straight C code which follows a few conventions for making it compatible with the Arduino library.

Executable binaries are always programmed into Flash. A bootloader does this directly, without touching EEPROM.

EEPROM is pure data storage. It can be programmed by the bootloader, too, but bytes there aren't executable.

Regarding the problem, Teacup uses the very same 'avrdude' executable Arduino uses. If one works, but the other doesn't, it's a difference in parameters given to avrdude. Arduino IDE has a preferences setting to show more verbosely how stuff is compiled and uploaded. Turn this on and look which parameters Arduino executes avrdude with, then go to Configtool settings and make it the same. Likely it's a different -c parameter, which tells avrdude the type of programming device/bootloader to assume.
Thanks, i'm not very good when it comes to firmware related stuff so when i thought that i had it figured out i just got more lost than anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login