Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adapting the PCB plotting process for PCB milling.

Posted by Capo 
Adapting the PCB plotting process for PCB milling.
December 06, 2010 06:34PM
Hi all

I'm currently attempting to take the same Reprap host based process used to create the gcode for 'plotting' and instead apply it to PCB milling. Is there a simple way to invert the area plotted so that everything but the tracks and pads would be milled? Is there a setting for this in Eagle or would it require changes to the Reprap host?

I'm investigating this option as all the other PCB milling methods require additional (windows unfriendly) software. EDIT: cad.py does work on windows after all. I was just missing some modules it turns out. I would still be interested to know if the plotting method could be adapted for milling though.

Thanks

-Capo

Edit:I tried unchecking the 'pads' and 'vias' options in the Eagle cam processor and instead selecting 'unrouted'. When plotted this didnt look right either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 10:22PM by Capo.
VDX
Re: Adapting the PCB plotting process for PCB milling.
December 08, 2010 03:31AM
Hi Capo,

... search in the Eagle-downloads for the script "mill-outline.ulp" copy it in your ulp-path and read the documentation, this should output the outlines around the tracks and pads for isolation-milling ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 08, 2010 05:01AM
Thanks, I will take a look
December 10, 2010 11:23AM
pcbgcode is also a script on top of Eagle and works pretty well. The fact there are no installation instructions for Windows on the PCB Milling wiki page doesn't mean it wouldn't work there. In fact, many people would be glad if you could add a note there about that.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 10, 2010 09:07PM
Thanks, I will move on to that next. I just updated the details on the wiki for cad.py for windows if anyone else is interested. It seems to work ok for milling as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login