Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Incorrect Thermistor Temperature Readings/Settings

Posted by ajnordin 
Incorrect Thermistor Temperature Readings/Settings
September 17, 2016 10:49AM
Hello,

I recently bought this j-head hotend from amazon, and connected the thermistor to my Arduino Uno just to test it out because I thought that I may have to play around with some of the settings. I guess I was right, because when I connect to the printer in pronterface or repetier host, they both give me a value of 618 degrees.

The thermistor should be a 100k NTC 3950 Thermistor.

I checked the resistance with my multimeter, and it registered 100k Ohms like it should. If I disconnect one of the wires, the temperature reading in pronterface drops significantly (58 degrees), but then jumps around which is expected because nothing's conncected.

I have attached a picture of the settings in teacup configtool, and the reading in pronterface. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - temp_sensor.jpg (124.6 KB)
open | download - temp_sensor_settings.jpg (105.9 KB)
open | download - temp_sensor_settings2.jpg (117.4 KB)
Re: Incorrect Thermistor Temperature Readings/Settings
September 17, 2016 01:44PM
How do yo connect your sensor? Directly to your UNO?
You need a voltage divider with 4k7 ohms to measure it correctly.
When there is no divider the input gets full 5V which could be the 600°.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
September 17, 2016 03:01PM
Ah, I see. I had it connected directly to my UNO, I didn't know about the voltage divider.

Ok, two follow up questions:

1) What is a voltage divider? Is it just a simple 4k7 ohm resistor, or another circuit that I would have to build?

2) Could I change my R2 value to 0 in Teacup and not use a resistor (if that's what the voltage divider is)?

A note about the second question- I did try changing R2 from 4700 to 1000, but the temperature on pronterface said 636 degrees.
September 17, 2016 06:23PM
Of course your temperature stay at 636. The ADC measures the voltage and not the current. While your voltage is constant, 5V, the ADC is constant.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Z1 is 4k7
Z2 is your thermistor
VIN is 5V
VOUT is the ADC-input
GND is GND.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login