Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More independent axes, which firmware?

Posted by Generic Default 
More independent axes, which firmware?
January 17, 2017 07:12PM
Hi,

I built a mill turn center with more than 8 axes in 2016. I use an azteeg board (with 8 stepper drivers) to control it, running repetier host firmware.

The problem is that you can only control 4 axes at a time in the gcode. For example,

G1 X2 Y3 Z4 E5

would move the X,Y,Z, and E axes at the same time.
I currently have to switch to my extra axes as if they are extra extruders, which means I can only control one extra axis at a time. I need to be able to control multiple axes past the initial XYZ at the same time.

I also need to be able to HOME the extra axes to default positions so I don't have to manually zero them every time I start the machine.

Are there any firmwares that allow this functionality? I write all of my gcode by hand for the machining operations, so toolpath software/slicing is not an issue.
I can also modify the firmware to a limited extent, but I'm not an expert programmer.

The picture below shows 7 of the 8 axes that the machine has, you can understand why I need to be able to control them independently.

I manufacture multi-extrusion hotends.
www.polystroooder.com
Re: More independent axes, which firmware?
January 18, 2017 06:45AM
I know that RepRapFirmware supports more axes and also understands commands like G1 X2 Y3 Z4 E5:0.22:0.123 to run three extruders simultaneously. Not sure if there is any slicer out there to generate such code?
January 18, 2017 05:11PM
The standard build of RepRapFirmware for the Duet WiFi supports up to 6 axes (X Y Z U V W) and up to 7 extruders, subject to a limit of 10 axes + extruders. The axes can all be homed independently.

It would be possible to rebuild the firmware to allow more than 6 axes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 05:15PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 18, 2017 09:18PM
Aww I wish I would have known about this before I bought the board I'm using now. The hardware is fine but unfortunately I can't run the reprap firmware on the Azteeg board.

I guess I'll have to wait a while until I have time to rewire everything on the mill turn center, then buy the duet and the expansion board.

Thanks for telling me about this!

I manufacture multi-extrusion hotends.
www.polystroooder.com
January 19, 2017 02:30AM
What stepper motors and stepper drivers do you use?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login