Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Monoprice Mini Select - now with DUET v0.6 !

Posted by MacMarty 
Monoprice Mini Select - now with DUET v0.6 !
February 16, 2017 02:48PM
OK, let's get it out of the way first - Why would I put a $130 controller card onto a $200 printer? Because (a) I managed to fry the closed-source FPGA-based controller in the Mini Select while trying to get WiFi working on it, (b) Monoprice will not sell replacement controller cards, and (c) I had the Duet in hand from another project that never got completed.

I'm closing in on having everything connected up and moving, but am having problems with Homing actions. Any variant of G28 seems to cause all three axes to home, even though The G-code wiki page implies that "G28 X" should cause only the X axis to run to home.

I do see that there is some elegant 3-axis homing capability supported by RepRapFirmware. At the moment, I want to defeat that. I have requested Marlin behavior via M555 P2 on the Config file. . At least I -think- I am asking it to do. In the bottom of the Reptier-Host Mac window, I -do- still see "RepRapFirmware".

I have clearly misunderstood something here. Is there an easy way to do one-axis homing moves? Or would I need to move most of the contents of the homex.g, homey.g, homez.g files?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 02:49PM by MacMarty.
Re: Monoprice Mini Select - now with DUET v0.6 !
February 16, 2017 03:20PM
BTW, the "big picture" for homing on this machine is that there are microswitch end stops on X, Y, and Z. If there is some definite way that things should be wired up for this, I would be very grateful for any guidance. (I have seen some words implying that a limit switch on Z should be wired to the ... E0 end stop pins?? )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 03:21PM by MacMarty.
February 16, 2017 06:11PM
Yes you should be able to home each axis separately. This page [duet3d.com] should tell you what you need to know.

As it is a Duet 0.6, I suggest you check what version of firmware it is running, and update it unless it is recent.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 16, 2017 08:33PM
Thank you, that is a huge help. Your advice earlier this week led me to upgrade the firmware to 1.17e, so I think we're good on that.

X and Y are now homing happily. The red LEDs on the Duet blink briefly as the axis touches the switch, first quick, then slowly. Happy, happy.

I have clearly not found the right arrangement for the Z axis. The machine I am commissioning does not have an electronic Z sensor of any kind, just a limit switch at the MIN position. The extruder moves down, closes the switch, and the red LED comes on and STAYS on. The stepper continues to push the nozzle into the bed, until I hit the e-stop.

I can see that there is much sophistication in Duet in order to provide for several kinds of z-axis sensors. All I have is that one little barbaric limit switch. I'm unable to read between the lines of sophisticated Z-sensing options to set things up for that simple case. I've avoided using the web-based configuration generator, primarily because I'm a little old fashioned and want to understand how the printer components actually interact.

Your thoughts? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
February 17, 2017 02:27AM
See section that starts "If you home Z using a microswitch instead..." at [duet3d.com]. Also make sure that your M558 command includes parameters X0 Y0 Z0.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 18, 2019 08:41PM
Hi

Just found this thread and have spare duet 0.6 and a few mp mini v1s
Did you get it all working and usable?
I realise this is old thread just very curious in fact if anyone has used a duet 0.6 for anything else apart from the Fisher and Omerod. i have plenty of fishers and some fit for parts so if you succeed i would like to try and any info and pics would be amazing
Thanks
Chris
June 26, 2019 12:44AM
I'veused the Duet v0.6 for Ormerods / custom cantilevers and core xy systems. I've a few P3Steels in the works and at least one will be on a v0.6. They are very capable boards, but I'd be inclined to use external MOSFETs for the heated bed, especially if you already have them. Their weak spot are the drivers really. Noisey and only 16 microsteps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login