Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen 6 _ no negative movements _ upload problem

Posted by Klodd 
Gen 6 _ no negative movements _ upload problem
March 11, 2011 07:14PM
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing big issues with the gen6 firmware.

I don't get any negative movements on any axis !

It used to be perfectly alright, but when I uploaded a new firmware (newest release for gen6) it started not working anymore. I have since tried to rollback to no avail.

The problem has been experienced by me and one of my friends. It seems that the upload using Linux 32bit, Linux 64bit, nor windows vista works, and I tried Arduino 0018 0019 0020 0021 and 0022. The Sanguino plug in is the latest (only one is available).

My friend has a Mac OS X at home, and it works for him when he uploads the firmware from that computer.

I do not own a Mac computer, so I would like to solve that issue. I have difficulties believing that we are the first ones experiencing this issue, since many people must be using linux or windows with a gen6.

I have tried to reset the board before uploading, I did close the program after upload is done, and I did reset the board before launching repsnapper (we are both using repsnapper to command the machine, I did not try another software).

To me, it seems that the program does not interpret correctly negative float arguments passed to G1 X/Y/Z(float) commands. The program itself is perfectly ok (compiles, works when uploaded via Mac).

The extruder does reverse. (you'll notice that the extruder command is different, the program tells the extruder to switch direction, then sends a positive float).

Hence the only solution I can see for the moment would be to make the axis motors work like the extruder, with two directions. That is a lot of work but I should be able to edit the firmware to have this working... but I'd really like to avoid that.

I hope others had this issue and that they could solve it.

Any idea is welcome, thanks.
Re: Gen 6 _ no negative movements _ upload problem
March 12, 2011 04:51AM
If rolling back doesn't work, this sounds much like you hardware changed. Are you sure your min endstops still work as expected? Are they still correctly configured in configure.h? No negative movement is often the result of endstops always recognized as being triggered. You can put some cardboard into switch them and look wether the axes move better, then.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 12, 2011 02:06PM
Well that makes sense. I don't use any optos, maybe the new firmware assumes they are connected and that creates a conflict.

(BTW OS dependency is even weirder !)

Anyways I would have never thought about that particuliar issue, I'll look into that on monday. It definitely makes sense, I hope it'll solve it !
March 13, 2011 06:22AM

I don't use any optos, maybe the new firmware assumes they are connected and that creates a conflict.

Watch out for ...INVERT... #defines. They can flip how the endstop signal is interpreted.

With Teacup firmware you simply comment out the endstop pin #define and everything regarding this endstop is ignored. Not sure how well this works with other firmwares.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 13, 2011 04:09PM
I found those lines in the firmware's configuration.h file :

// Set 1s where you have endstops; 0s where you don't
// Both Darwin and Mendel have MIN endstops, but not MAX ones.
#define ENDSTOPS_MIN_ENABLED 1
#define ENDSTOPS_MAX_ENABLED 0

I guess I just have to put 0 on both lines, I'll give more news tomorrow evening !

Thanks again !
March 15, 2011 05:24PM
It -totally- worked !

Thanks again !!

(I guess the OS dependency is just that my friend using a Mac forgot he changed thoses lines a long time ago smiling smiley )
April 15, 2011 07:29PM
You mentioned that you aren't using Opto endstops.... are you using anything for MIN endstops... like a microswitch (that's what i use)?

If so and you still want to use them you can also try re-enabling the MIN endstops, but inverting their output in the firmware.

I was having the same problem with no negative movements after updating my firmware. What had happened was the the new firmware was expecting the opposite signal from the endstops than my previous firmware had.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login