Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Firmware GRBL compatibility or laser optimized mode ?

Posted by Dev00 
RepRap Firmware GRBL compatibility or laser optimized mode ?
February 13, 2021 06:13PM
There is a topic on the LightBurn forum called: LightBurn compatible with RepRap? (DuetWifi), stating:

"Marlin based firmware is pretty bad for laser use. They interpret G0 and G1 moves identically, whereas all other modern firmware treats G0 as a non-cutting rapid move. … "

Emulation type that is optimized for use with lasers or plans to add GRBL mode ?
Re: RepRap Firmware GRBL compatibility or laser optimized mode ?
February 14, 2021 03:42AM
The standard builds of RepRapFirmware have supported laser mode for years. Use the M452 command (https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Gcode#Section_M452_Select_Laser_DeviceMode) in config.g to switch the firmware into laser mode. Have Lightburn generate GCode that uses the S parameter of the G1 command to set the laser power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2021 03:44AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 21, 2023 08:49AM
I tried the laser mode and it seemed not fully compatible with GRBL. Some laser engraving programs generate simple Sxxx commands (no Gx command before the Sxxx) and this was not recognized by RRF. There are quite few programs that wok with GRBL firmware and I really think that full emulation mode can be useful.
VDX
January 21, 2023 01:39PM
... I'm using the extruder-stepper pulses for generating laser-pulses - so it's as easy as "G0 X (xxx) Y (yyy)" to drive the head without ... and "G1 X (xxx) Y (yyy) Z (zzz) E (eee) F(fff)" with pulsing the laser.

The E (eee) value gives the "pulses per mm", when calculated with the setting for the extuder multiplied with the moved line length automatically and with even distrivbution alon gthe line without influence of acceleration and such ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2023 01:40PM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login