Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Klipper Without Wifi and Changing Config Files Without Wifi

Posted by Westley Roberts 
Klipper Without Wifi and Changing Config Files Without Wifi
August 24, 2023 07:52AM
I just bought my first 3d printer. I'm happy I bought it, got a great bargain. The guy I bought it from was super cool. But now I need to get it working. It was working when I bought it, he was running a sample print to show me it works.

The printer is a CR-10 V3 with an skr3 board and a raspberry pi 4b 4g running klipper. Also TMC 2209's, 24V power supply, a separate power supply for the PI, a revo hotend, an upgraded extruder, and PEI flex sheet. Great starter printer for a great price, sold to me by a great guy, couldn't be happier.

But

He was using klipper via wifi. So now I must either start from scratch and reflash everything and commit to using wifi like he did, or figure out how to use it without. He gave me the config files so starting from scratch isn't horrible. BUT I'm just not OK with being forced to use wifi. I want to take my printer with me, to the cottage, to a friend's house, whatever, without needing an auxiliary computer or worrying about setting up a new network or whatever. Also I consider controlling any CNC machine via wifi to be unsafe and kinda dumb. So please don't reply with, oh, just use the wifi, I like it, it's great. If push comes to shove I will use an old laptop to run klipper, sell the PI, or smash it with a hammer out of vengeance, and then I won't need to use 2 computers, a PI, AND a PC. Sorry I'm coming across a bit hostile, LOL, I already hashed this out with some people on discord. Who, BTW did give me some advice to generally steer me in the right direction, but it was also kinda frustrating. I'm definitely not knocking the people who did their best to give me free advice though. It's all appreciated.

First off I want to attach a screen. The guy who sold it to me included a couple of Creality 12864 screens with the rotating click knob. We tried for a bit to get it to work but weren't able to, TBH I don't think we used the right configs. I know from my research that people use these with klipper, TBH I'll probably upgrade this in the future, but for now, I'd like to see what it's like to use one. Someone in the klipper discord mentioned to me that there is a 2nd partition on the micro SD cards that is formatted for linux so you can't see it in windows. Oh, and there were 2 micro SD cards, one in the PI and one in the skr3.

Also currently I can't access the printer because it's set up for his wifi network.

Question #1

Is there some kind of utility program that I can use to view and edit the linux partitions on the micro sd cards using a windows pc? As in via a plugged in USB adapter NOT wifi. My goal is to edit the config file on the micro sd(s) to use the creality 12864 screen via the exp1 and / or exp2 slots on the SKR 3.

Also potentially to edit the wifi login to my my home network solely for the purposes of trouble shooting and setup. I heard I could change this by editing the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

Question #2

The PI I have has 2 usb slots. One is used up to connect to the printer. One is free. Also the micro sd slot for the SKR 3 is accessible from the outside of the electronics bay but I'd rather use a USB. The micro SD for the PI is somewhat hidden in the bay. Does anyone have any experience or advice for how to load gcode via the USB or a micro sd slot not using wifi for a setup like this?

If I can solve #1 and #2 easily enough by accessing the linux partitions and editing the files with a text editor, then that's the best, problem solved and I never have to worry about it again. Fingers crossed!

Question #3

If anyone has any advice or experience using something other than a PI to run klipper without needing to use wifi, please free free to make a suggestion. Like an old laptop, or tiny computer, or one of the new tablets, etc.

Sorry about the rant and any help is appreciated!
Re: Klipper Without Wifi and Changing Config Files Without Wifi
August 26, 2023 05:30AM
Here's what I've done so far for anyone having a similar issue:

I installed "Disk Genius" and "Linux File Systems For Windows (by paragon)". Neither one worked out for me. Disk Genius was good at viewing files on the EXT4 partition. But not editing. In addition Linux File Systems For Windows appears to have some serious flaws IMO. I can't recommend it. There may be a way to get this to work with Notepad ++ or something, I don't know. If you figure it out let me know. It was a waste of time for me.

Next, I installed a virtual machine with a Linux OS on my PC. I still haven't got the shared folder to work buy I can manually edit the config files just fine.

The hardware I have is:
skr3
raspberry pi 4b 4g
12864ZW-10 Display (Creality, Not MKS, old school Ender 3 style)

Here's what I currently have in the config file (it doesn't work).

################################
# EXP1 / EXP2 (display) pins
################################

[board pins]
aliases:
# EXP1 header
EXP1_1=PC5, EXP1_3=PB1, EXP1_5=PE9, EXP1_7=PE11, EXP1_9=,
EXP1_2=PB0, EXP1_4=PE8, EXP1_6=PE10, EXP1_8=PE12, EXP1_10=<5V>,
# EXP2 header
EXP2_1=PA6, EXP2_3=PE7, EXP2_5=PB2, EXP2_7=PC4, EXP2_9=,
EXP2_2=PA5, EXP2_4=PA4, EXP2_6=PA7, EXP2_8=RST, EXP2_10=,

# See the sample-lcd.cfg file for definitions of common LCD displays.

###################################
# MKS Mini 12864 LCD

[display]
lcd_type: uc1701
cs_pin: EXP1_6
a0_pin: EXP1_7
contrast: 40
encoder_pins: ^EXP2_5, ^EXP2_3
click_pin: ^!EXP1_2
## Some micro-controller boards may require an spi bus to be specified:
#spi_bus: spi
## Alternatively, some micro-controller boards may not work with software spi:
spi_software_miso_pin: EXP2_1
spi_software_mosi_pin: EXP2_6
spi_software_sclk_pin: EXP2_2

[output_pin beeper]
pin: EXP1_1

Someone on the klipper discord suggested the following to get it to work with EXP1 only:

[display]
lcd_type: st7920
cs_pin: PE11
sclk_pin: PE10
sid_pin: PE12
encoder_pins: ^PE9, ^PB1
click_pin: ^!PB0

[output_pin beeper]
pin: PC5```

But I'm not sure what all to keep and what to toss. Any advice?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login