Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Configuring Marlin for a 328

Posted by Andrew Diehl 
Configuring Marlin for a 328
October 02, 2011 03:58PM
Everything so far has been relatively straight forward, until I got to re-defining the pin outs for my 328 set up.

I use analog 2,3 as digital outs for my extruder step/dir, but I use digital 2,3 as my X step/dir.

In the pins.h file, there does not appear to be a way to differentiate between the analog and digital pins. Am I missing something, or is there no way to use the analog pins as digital outs in this firmware?
Re: Configuring Marlin for a 328
October 02, 2011 04:42PM
If you look at the pin map for the 168 in pin.h you will see that the A0 - A5 are also called D14 - D19 so all you need to do is use the D number instead.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 02, 2011 05:36PM
Ahh, thanks. Apparently there are some other issues as well, but Erik van der Zalm is sending me a modified version that might run alright.
October 02, 2011 08:29PM
Marlin uses too much ram to be used on a 328. Even with the move queue at 2.
October 02, 2011 09:06PM
Erik seems to think he can make it work, and as he created Marlin i'm inclined to believe him.
October 03, 2011 01:14AM
It should work on a 328 as GRBl is where the look ahead comes from and its made to work on 168's and 328's specifically. [dank.bengler.no]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
October 03, 2011 09:50AM
You guys can believe what you want. The grbl code isn't the issue. Sprinter is very inefficient with ram. The strings aren't even in flash.
October 04, 2011 09:33PM
It's starting to work smiling smiley

Erik has got it to the point where I can jog it through pronterface without issue. I've even run some files through it with some success. Yes, it does still freeze up after a bit, but I don't think it is all that far from working properly.

JV4779, He's actually been moving parts of it into flash to free up more ram, so there may be more hope than you think
October 05, 2011 02:47PM
I never meant to imply that it was impossible to make Marlin work on a 328. Just the current release will not work because the raw ram requirements, even with a minimal (ie useless) move buffer, are just too high.
October 05, 2011 02:52PM
That's fair then.
February 04, 2012 06:38PM
Did anyone ever get this to at least compile?
I'm interested in getting Marlin working on a 328p, and am having a lot of issues.
February 19, 2012 11:07PM
I have had no luck getting Marlin to compile. Lots of errors, and deep in the hardwareserial.cpp, etc. sad smiley

David

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MakeMendel Orca v0.3, Gen6 with 5D, Slic3r. Usually 1.75mm with a modified V9 hot end and extruder.
February 20, 2012 01:01AM
Nope. Never got it to work. Even if it did i don't think the buffer would have been big enough to be useful.

www.Fablicator.com
February 28, 2012 03:23AM
I'm going to give it a try.arduino 1.0 has the ability to convert strings into flash memory rather than taking up ram space.. another thing i got working with sprinter was combining the dir pins into 1 dir pin. also running at 8mhz with internal clock frees up an additional 2 pins. digitalwritefast recognizes these additional pins. one may ask why? it is easy to breadboard a 328 chip and to have room to add additional components for testing.

if I don't do updates in two weeks with it working on 328, then consider it a failure. I will then go back to sprinter with sd support. but i would rather marlin work on 328, even nearly crippled for the prusa i'm building below.

I have enough pins to also run lcd support, but i think marlin has that built in..
February 29, 2012 04:35AM
process_command seems to take over 20k of code. this seems incredibly huge. also rather than compare each char as a string why not compare it as a byte. this alone i think will shrink the process_command to 5k or less.. but then again we will see. this will be a serious rewrite.. that is if it works... smiling smiley
February 29, 2012 06:21AM
May I suggest to pick Marlin's look-ahead and put this into Teacup? Teacup is already small, well tested and has a command queue.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 29, 2012 03:58PM
And while you're at it... port marlin's implementation of Matthew Roberts advance algorithm...

lol!
March 01, 2012 11:59AM
I'll stick with trying to shrink marlin.. process_commands() is like the steering wheel of the car, look-ahead is like changing out the engine block.
March 02, 2012 10:49AM
OK I've trimmed down the fat a bit, but left the code in place it is just disabled if motherboard ==4 is selected in configuration.h

most mcodes above 115 except bed temp commands are not essential, so they are disabled with 328, also some strings that report at start up and the eeprom check when firmware initializes are disabled as well. eeprom is a separate memory, but the code is taxing to read and write it.

for example you wont be able to add a remote camera to take snap shots anymore if using 328... bummer.

some of the cautionary temp controls such as max and min temps are disabled, but may be enabled carefully based upon flash space available.

next is to find approximate but close fits for the acceleration tables that are in epprom, not using those tables along with the above, and some minor code changing allows the code now to take 30350 bytes. however i still need to create a simplified table, and continue finding ways to save space . also i have disabled pid, but will enable it if it fits when modifications are complete. with 8mhz arduino flash i have 30720 bytes to program with. also sd is disabled currently

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 10:57AM by jamesdanielv.
March 02, 2012 12:46PM
You're getting closer and closer to Teacup. The tables can be calculated on the fly, see line 634 to 675 of this file: [github.com]

March 03, 2012 08:16PM
Just came across the wiki page for r2c2 board and it says it uses a modified version of Teacup mixed with GRBL. I had a look at their github repo and what do you know it has Teacups Gcode processor and GRBL's look ahead plus a pile of stuff for Arm32. So maybe someone could strip the Arm32 parts and we could have Teacup with look ahead.

[github.com]

March 03, 2012 11:14PM
Interesting. I can't find the common branch point for the Teacup files in R2C2, though. Looks like it'll need to be a manual merge, but both branches have lots of changes.
March 04, 2012 07:05AM
Interesting indeed. In it's current state one wouldn't recognize the R2C2 firmware is derived from Teacup, but let's have a look how this looked earlier ...

March 04, 2012 09:19AM
marlin is unique GRBL because it changes speed of e axis in relation to how fast the stepper is going. look at stepper.c file in both location of marlin firmware and grbl. i don't know why this link was so hard for me to find earlier but it is here [github.com] for grbl

grbl on its own does nothing for compensation of e (the timer variable in stepper.c of merlin)

on another note here is marlin that sort of fits into 328. it fits but the ram used is nearly everything. i can get it to init thru the serial com in arduino ide, but the pronterface host does not see it. Marlin does report free ram at start up so that should help troubleshooting. if anyone wants to play with the code it is here. [www.useablesoftware.com]

with all that said. the 328 version does not compensate for e either, it is disabled to allow it to fit without the eprom table,

so that being said it is waiting for someone who can free up ram and give it a try.

I'm off to do other things now...

just to note the acceleration and path profile are located in planner.c planner.h in grbl and is called from stepper.c

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 09:24AM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login