Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin: Pre-Activating of Z-Axis?

Posted by Elk 
Elk
Marlin: Pre-Activating of Z-Axis?
November 28, 2012 02:30AM
Hello Chaps,

I have some issues with my Z-Axis and I thought maybe it is because of late activation of the axis prior to the useage. I set to deactivate the Z-Axis as long as it is not in use (this is helpful if you want to adjust the height manually at the beginning of a print, which I do all the time). The issue I have is a complete fail of the Z-Axis in the middle of the print. The other Axis work on smoothly - only Z stops. I can't find another way than unplugging the power (electronics are not USB-Powered) from the electronics to reactivate it. After re-attaching the power, everything works fine again...

Therefore I would like to pre-activate the stepper driver a few seconds prior to the z-move. I hope that like this it will perhaps work more smoothly... Is this possible and if yes, how can it be achieved?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Best Regards

Sebastian
Re: Marlin: Pre-Activating of Z-Axis?
November 28, 2012 07:29AM
some people have issues with z axis drifitng because of vibrations on x axis and z axis disabled.

you could possibly scan the input serial characters for a letter z, then set enable pin for z high. this would mean a z move is entering the buffer, and it will turn on 2-8 moves in advance ahead of buffered commands.

the code change would be in serial.h or something like that...
Elk
November 28, 2012 08:38AM
dear jamesdanielv

I am sure it is not the mentioned drift problem (since I marked my Z-Belt with a sign to see if it mooves at the desired point of the print...).

Thank you for the idea how to implemet this into serial.h.
Since I am not really into programming at all, I would need an already prooved step-by-step how-to to make sure I'll be able to adjust it. I thought that this might be already implemented somewhere (since it was in the old 5D-Firmware...) but if not, I'll try to figure out another way of fixing my issues. Dialed down the Z-Motor driver a little now... tests are running currently.

Regards
Sebastian
December 05, 2012 08:21PM
perhaps what you want is a delay in timing per pulse?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login