Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which firmware would be easiest to convert for laser cutter gcode

Posted by terramir 
Which firmware would be easiest to convert for laser cutter gcode
December 30, 2012 02:48PM
which one of the existing firmwares would be easiest to convert so it could drive a laser cutter. Assuming there is no Z to keep it simple it will only need to control x and y and laser on of and well adjust the lasers current i.e. (feedrate or temp) just wondering I would like to keep it as simple as possible does any of the developers here have an idea which firmware would be suitable to do this easily?
terramir
Re: Which firmware would be easiest to convert for laser cutter gcode
December 31, 2012 01:18AM
was also thinking teacup might be the best because it has a small footprint the question is can laser on of and x and y be accomplished easy there would be no Z on my project in particular
terramir
December 31, 2012 01:34AM
The easiest would be an Ardunio library based firmware where you can simply add an Mcode and write to a pin. This would be Marlin or Sprinter. In Marlin open Marlin.pde and you will see the code for M codes. Copy one similar to what you want and modify it (like fan on/off).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
December 31, 2012 02:42AM
marlin and sprinter are so huge so this would mean the 328 is out (well if I remove some stuff for the Z, E maybe but that would be out of my league really)
was really thinking I would like to chage an existing firmware to drive a laser cutter in a very basic from load gcode drive it down x and Y while turning laser on or off depending on where your printing or not.
I will probably need some collaboration to make this happen, we'll see who can help.
terramir
December 31, 2012 04:26AM
You never mention you want to run it on a 328.

Also I would think you need something with look-ahead for a laser cutter/engraver as you do not want it to slow down at the point in the code because it would create a hot spot at each slow down.

You should look into Grbl as it is the base for Marlins look ahead but is missing everything RepRap related as it is made for milling/cutting. It is also made to fit on a 328.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
December 31, 2012 03:10PM
Gbrl I wonder if there is a version that is close to what we use on a reprap, but honestly I'm just thinking if I can get away with a 328P that would be great because I have it, but a 644p or a 1284p would be fine too.
anyways folks any more advice will be appriciated I want to explore several avenues to determine which is best for this projectwinking smiley
terramir
December 31, 2012 07:04PM
Grbl is based on the original RepRap firmware. It was then stripped of all the RepRap extruder code and had the look-ahead added so yes it will run the same Gcode as we use for printing except it will ignore all the extruder and RepRap specific commands. It is really easy to set the pins via the config file.

December 31, 2012 07:49PM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Grbl is based on the original RepRap firmware. It
> was then stripped of all the RepRap extruder code
> and had the look-ahead added so yes it will run
> the same Gcode as we use for printing except it
> will ignore all the extruder and RepRap specific
> commands. It is really easy to set the pins via
> the config file.

yeah the question would be would it be easy to configure the z so -1 would put on a latching pin high and 1 would turn the latching pin low this way I could pretty much use cad.py as is to create the gcode for the machine. this way I could use the same code sequence I would use for plotting (although I would make z=0 there or milling where I would make z=-0.1 ( or something like it ) .
and I wouldn't have to edit the file all that much?
terramir
January 01, 2013 12:12AM
You could just set the dir pin for Z to go to a Fet that activates a latching relay that turns on/off the laser and when the software sets the direction pin high it would turn on the laser. But I would use a Slicer that can produce a simple on off command like is used for DC extruders or Milling and use it to turn on the laser.

VDX
January 09, 2013 04:50AM
... there are some other threads regarding refurbishing old laser-cutters and/or modifying firmwares+hosts for lasercutting with RepRap-electronics.

See here: [forums.reprap.org]

... and here: [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 17, 2013 09:46AM
I would not recommend it, but if you must use the wrong tool to work a laser, and want to use arduino:

go for Grbl if you are going this route. grbl with fit on a 168 arduino. for grbl for laser you likely will need x, y and a pulse pin.

you are better off going with a specialized dsp board.
March 09, 2013 08:16AM
Look at Lasersaur. Its a GBRL based lasercutter firm and software. Its fit in a arduino 328 andis easy to mod. Its super

First Gen Mendel made by Adrian Bowyer
Controller: RAMPS 1.4
Extruder: Greg's Wade Universal Accessible Extruder
Firmware :Marlin
----------------
MendelMax extra groot
RAMPS 1.4 grafisch display (diy)
Marlin
E3D v6
220V hotbed (diy)

Lang niks in 3Dprinting gedaan, begin nu weer hobby op te pakken.
Weer begonnen met:

Prusa Graber i3 "wood"
RAMPS 1.4 (mks tft28 v1.2 smart touch)
Marlin
E3D extruder v6 lite
March 09, 2013 10:51AM
Thanks for the lasersaur and grbl information. :-)

Gives me something to consider for future machine builds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login