Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacup too large for ATMega168 (Teamug?)

Posted by larsrc 
Teacup too large for ATMega168 (Teamug?)
May 25, 2013 12:20PM
I'm trying to use Teacup for my McWire[1] repstrap using an Arduino Diecimilia. I chose Teacup because the wiki page says it fits in an ATMega168, but when compiling even a fairly simple setup (1 thermistor, 1 extruder, no UScool smiley, the compiled size is 17,512 bytes (of a 14,336 byte maximum). I see last year somebody with a somewhat similar setup went just over the limit. Has Teacup been growing fat because nobody develops on '168 any more? Is there anything that can realistically be taken out to reduce the size by that much?

Thanks,
-Lars
RepStrap blog: [repstrapdk.blogspot.de]

[1] Yes, I know it's an old, crappy, discouraged design. But it's my machine, and dammit I want to make it work!
Attachments:
open | download - config.monster.h (23.1 KB)
open | download - ThermistorTable.monster.h (3.2 KB)
Re: Teacup too large for ATMega168 (Teamug?)
May 27, 2013 07:27AM
Comment out EECONFIG and LOOKAHEAD and comment in BANG_BANG in config.h. Flash can be filled 100%, RAM only to about 80%. Adjust RAM usage with MOVEBUFFER_SIZE.

In case this is still not sufficient, we have to find more tricks. smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 27, 2013 01:48PM
You could just replace the chip with a 328 and have twice the memory for under $5 US with delivery [www.ebay.com]

That one does not have the bootloader. They are around $10 US with a bootloader and delivery.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 25, 2013 05:02PM
you ca bit bang program arduino. [www.geocities.jp]

if you want the arduino boot loader on the 328.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 05:03PM by jamesdanielv.
July 21, 2013 07:09PM
One thing I just found out is: compiling Teacup with Arduino makes it substantially bigger than compiling it with the Makefile. With all features enabled it's something like 20'000 bytes (Makefile) vs. 23'500 bytes (Arduino). In a slim configuration I get 14'000 bytes, small enough for an '168, by using make.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login