Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gcode multiline buffering, ack problem and proposal

Posted by sam0737 
gcode multiline buffering, ack problem and proposal
February 25, 2014 12:29PM
Hi I am Sam. Back in 2009 I was working on EMCReprap (http://reprap.org/wiki/EMCRepRap) and I finally gave up and got myself an Arduino Mega + hand wrapped RAMPS with TB6560 driver, resulting in this [www.youtube.com]. However, I am quite unsatisfied with firmwares today, and the processing power of AVR - which limited the software architecture design and possibilities. And hence a started a new firmware project targetting Arduino Due (ARM), with ChibiOS (realtime OS). (https://github.com/sam0737/reprap-arduino-due). Though I still have a fulltime job to take care with, the progress has been shaky. Enough said...

TL;DR I am working on a new firmware, and there is one particular issue with the host interaction I see rooms for improvement.
When M116 (Wait for target temp) or M4 (Dwell) is issued, the host can't send additional line, because it has no idea if
  1. the command is well received and just being processed,
  2. if the firmware has buffer for more
  3. or even worse - the newline is dropped, no "rs/resend" is being transmitted and everything just hanged.
And at this stage, even M105 (Temp report) and M112 (Estop) can't go through because host does not know if it is safe to send. (Firmware like Marlin won't be able to react because it is in the tight loop, but Teacup which use dda loop for temp check should be able to react - another reason why I am starting a new firmware project)

I have come across [reprap.org], [reprap.org] but it only tickles issue (b).

Here I am proposing a new solution here
Proposed design:

1. The firmware should return if buffers are fulled or not by implementing GCODE_buffer_multiline_proposal. (I will stick with Q:1 in the example for buffer not empty, I shall discuss the problem when multiple lines are transmitted below)
    (Instead of using the bareword buffer, we better stick with key:value format for easy parsing. I don't want a machine named "buffer" causing any trouble in a M115 command)
  2. The firmware should send "ack N:*" for those commands well received but could not be immediately finished/buffered, like G4. N:* refers to the line number ack'ed
  3. The firmware should send "ok N:*" when the commands are processed ("ack" could be skipped for those commands immediately processed/buffered). N:* refers to the line number ok'ed.
  4. The firmware should be able to process some commands out of order with immediate effect - say M105 (Get temp), M114 (Get pos), M112 (Estop), M226 (Pause). Prehaps the list should be reported in M115 (capabilities query) as like "IMMEDIATE_COMMAND:M105,M114,M112,M226". These could also be used to get the status of the buffer.
  5. The host should use line number for all gcode.
  6. The host should not send any more lines except those with immediate effect when buffer is full. But it should keep sending M105 to get notified when the buffer is empty again.
  7. The host should resend a line when no "ack/ok" is received in a reasonable time limit, like 500ms.

Sample interaction:
  • Host: N10 G4 S5000
  • Firmware: ack Q:1 N:10
  • Host: N11 M105 (It shouldn't send any other non-immediate command when ok isn't received yet)
  • Firmware: ok Q:1 N:11 T:100 /150
  • (Host repeat sending M105 and after so many lines, the dwell is finally done)
  • Firmware: ok Q:1 N:10 (Here the firmware green light the D4)
  • (And everything just goes on)
  • Host: N112 G1 X50 Y50 F5000
  • Firmware: ok Q:1 N:112

Sample interaction - command is not transferred correctly.
  • Host: N10 G1 X50 Y50 F5000
  • (No response from the firmware, host should retry)
  • Firmware: ok Q:1 N:10
You can imagine the ack/ok response also being dropped, the host just repeats the command. Sounds like TCP.

There are other situation when a firmware could returns ack instead of ok -
for example if the printing is manually paused from the LCD, like M226 but initiated from the LCD. The firmware want to hold the stream but not stopping it, and the user could resume the printing at anytime.

So this scheme solves (a), (b) and (c),
The nicest part? It still retains backward compatibility - old host would ignore ack response and wait for the ok response.

Multiple lines
Things is slightly complicated when it comes to multiple lines.

Multiple lines all transmitted ok, with a dwell
  • (Assume the last returns is ok Q:4, the host next three commands are - G1, G4 and G1. G1 will be immediately processed but G4 needs to wait)
  • Host: N11 G4 S5000
  • Host: N12 G1 X100 Y100 F5000
  • Firmware: ok Q:3 N:10
  • Firmware: ack Q:2 N:11
  • Firmware: ack Q:1 N:12 (Firmware returns ack here because N11 G4 has to be waited)
  • (Although buffer is available, but because firmware does not ok everything yet, host should wait but not sending more data lines, optionally polling with M105 to ping the firmware)

Multiple lines some with transmission failure.
  • (Again, 3 commands to send. 3rd failed to transmit, 2nd ack failed to return)
  • Host: N__corrupted___12 G1
  • Firmware: ok Q:3 N:10
  • Firmware: ac__corrupted__k Q:2 N:11
  • (After a little while, says 500ms, host should retransmit starting from N11, because only N10 is ack'ed)
  • Host: N12 G1 X100 Y100 F5000
  • (Firmware should ignore N11 because it is well received already, but it has to ack/ok accordingly)
  • Firmware: ack Q:2 N11
    So far anything else just requires simple state - like a integer storing last received line number.
    This one might be non-trivial to implement - the firmware must lookup the buffer and see if N11 is processed (ok) or still waiting (ack)
  • Firmware: ack Q:1 N12

Everything boils down to a simplified TCP Ack :-)

So folks, what do you think?
Re: gcode multiline buffering, ack problem and proposal
February 25, 2014 03:12PM
On second thought, there is still an issue if the "ok" returned is corrupted. The host will still be waiting hopelessly.
February 25, 2014 11:55PM
Well I am going to answer my own question. If host doesn't heard "ok" for a command, it could just resend every second.
It's easy for the firmware to check if it is a duplicated command because of the line number. Then it could act accordingly -
* Firmware would reply with ack if the command is indeed still in progress, or
* resend the ok, if the command was finished.
February 26, 2014 04:37AM
I think that multiline proposal is complicated and anyway doesn't work because it still degenerates to the case where the buffer is full and the firmware can't accept a new command, so the host has to poll. The buffer size reporting adds complexity but doesn't add any value.

I have a much simpler proposal, which is that the firmware simply returns "BUSY" for any command it can't handle immediately and the buffer is full. If the host receives a BUSY, it must resend commands (it need not be the same command, so can interject other non-buffered commands).

Either way, the host has to poll, and the firmware has to do some multitasking, so it would be best to make that as simple as possible.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
February 26, 2014 09:55AM
I agree on you that firmware must do multitasking/out-of-order handling to accept out of band command like M112 (EStop) /M105 (Check temp), no matter what solution it's going to be.

Secondly, as we the community is moving to faster CPU (Due) which has native hi speed USB, maybe the original argument of multiline buffering - speeding up the communication - no longer holds.

Maybe checksum and retry would be an waste too, because the native USB handles that already.

Originally I thought "ok" must be tagged with the line number, but I don't think it is necessary. As out-of-band commands are processed fast, host could always assume all "ok" are corresponds to those out-of-band commands first.
February 26, 2014 03:51PM
Ok here is my v2 proposal.

I am going to called the following commands as "out-of-band commands": M105 (Get temp), M114 (Get pos), M112 (Estop), etc. Other normal commands would be in-band commands.
It is not the same as non-buffered commands. non-buffered commands like G4 still have to be executed in-order.

Problem to solve
  1. Transmission corruption should be able to heal in all cases
    which means
    1. Host should know when a command is well received
    2. Host should know when the firmware has buffer for more the new line
    3. In case of no response and no "rs/resend" is being received, things should also be able to heal instead of hang
  2. out-of-band commands should be honored at anytime
  3. compatible with old host software, or new host software with old firmware.

Design Proposal
Logic Flow - Host side
  1. Host sends the Nth line.
  2. If host receive "rs XXX" N=(XXX, which is the line to be resent), go to step 1.
    Under this scheme, XXX must be equals to N.
  3. If host receive "ok", N=N+1, go to step 1.
  4. If host receive "busy", wait for 1 second and go to step 1
  5. If host receive nothing, wait for 100 milliseconds (or anything that host thinks appropriate) and go to step 1.

Logic Flow - Firmware side
two state variables - last_line_received = 0, is_busy = 0
When a command is received...
  1. If there is no line number, process the command as is without participating this algorithm, print "ok" when finished processing and return.
  2. If line_number > last_line_received + 1, or if checksum fails, or overflow occured -> print"rs (last_line_received + 1)" and return.
  3. If line_number < last_line_received + 1 -> depends on is_busy, print "ok" or "busy" accordingly. return.
  4. set last_received_line = line_number.
  5. if is_busy = 1, print "busy" and return.
  6. set is_busy = 1, firmware is recommended to print "busy", process the command.
At anytime when a previously processing command finished processing
  1. Set is_busy = 0, print "ok"
Note: The resend return could be in "rs NNN Resend:NNN" for compatibility, as only Resend: is recognized but not rs reply as of today.

Implementation Requirement
  • Host might send out-of-band at anytime, and firmware should always response to that no matter what state it is in. (even while in G4/M116, or homing in G28). Some kind of multitasking is needed.
  • The list of supported out-of-band commands should be communicated in M115 (Capabilities report). Firmware should support at least M105 (Temp report), M114 (Pos report), M112 (Estop), M119 (Endstop report), M115 (Capabilities report),
  • Line number must be used for in-band commands, but MUST NOT be used for out-of-band commands (otherwise the host is just acting in the old way)
  • For reporting command, host must expect that the reporting result might not be immediately followed due to asynchronous "ok" response. (Currently all most hosts handle replies like this)

Samples
Sample 1:
  • H: N1 D4 S5000
  • F: busy
  • H: N1 D4 S5000 // After 1 sec
  • F: busy // still busy with N1
  • F: ok // shortly afterwards, firmware finished with N1
  • H: N2 G1 X10 // Host proceeds with the next line

Sample 2 (command corrupted):
  • H: N1 D4 S5000 // corrupted
  • H: N1 D4 S5000 // Timeout after 1 second, resending.
  • (And proceeds like Sample 1)

Sample 3 (busy response corrupted):
  • H: N1 D4 S5000
  • F: busy // corrupted
  • H: N1 D4 S5000 // Timout after 1 sec, resending
  • (And proceeds like Sample 1. Logically a timeout and "busy" is logically the same, but a "busy" response assures that the firmware is active)

Sample 4 (ok response corrupted):
  • H: N1 D4 S0
  • F: ok // dropped. last_ok_line = 1 now.
  • H: N1 D4 S0 // Timeout after 1 sec, resending
  • F: ok // Because line_number <= last_ok_line, firmware knows it is a duplicated. return "ok" without actually processing it.
  • H: N2 G1 X10 // Host proceeds with the next line

Conclusion
It meets all criteria stated above.
  1. Transmission corruption should be able to heal in all cases
    which means
    1. Host should know when a command is well received
      > when busy/ok is received
    2. Host should know when the firmware has buffer for more the new line
      > when ok is received
    3. In case of no response and no "rs/resend" is being received, things should also be able to heal instead of hang
      > handled by retry
  2. out-of-band commands should be honored at anytime
    > as a implementation requirement
  3. compatible with old host software, or new host software with old firmware.
    > old host will just ignore the busy reply, and send command one by one
March 01, 2014 07:51AM
If all you want is to fully utilize the link bandwidth (not limited by round-trip time), and the link is reliable, it is fairly straightforward to solve. At the beginning, have the host query the printer for the total RX buffer size in bytes. We assume that the RX buffer of the printer can be modeled as a simple character based ring buffer, and that each command consumes exactly its length including the newline (but see note at the end).

Then the usual protocol is followed where every line is acknowledged with an 'ok', but the host is generally allowed to send further commands before receiving an 'ok' for previous commands, subject to the following:
  • The host keeps a FIFO buffer of the lengths of commands that have been sent to the printer but which have not yet been acknowledged. Whenever it sends a command, it pushes the length of that command to the back of the buffer, and whenever it receives an 'ok', it pops an entry from the front.
  • The host will never send a command to the printer if that would result in the sum of all command lengths in said FIFO to exceed the reported RX buffer size of the printer. If the host has commands but can't send them, it needs to wait for enough 'ok' before sending another command.
This guarantees that the firmware's RX buffer never overruns. Suppose P is the number of pending bytes (sum of command lengths in host's FIFO), RXsize is RX buffer size, and RXused is the current number of bytes in RX buffer (if RXused>RXsize that means there was an overrun). Then:
  • RXused <= P (the bytes in the printer's RX buffer are a subset of the pending bytes).
  • P <= RXsize (the limitation on the host's behavior).
  • Therefore: RXused <= RXsize (the RX buffer is not overrun).
Observe how this shouldn't require changes in the firmware other than reporting the RX buffer size.

Here's an example of how the communication would look like, assuming M951 is the RX buffer query command.

M951
>> 256
G1 X123.456789012 Y123.456789012 Z123.456789012 E123.456789012 // FIFO=[63]
G1 X123.456789012 Y123.456789012 Z123.456789012 E123.4567890 // FIFO=[63, 61]
G1 X123.456789012 Y123.456789012 Z123.456789012 E123.45678 // FIFO=[63,61,59]
G1 X123.456789012 Y123.456789012 Z123.456789012 E123.456 // FIFO=[63,61,59,57]. No space for next command, since sum(FIFO)=240. Some time passes.
>> ok // FIFO=[61,59,57]. Can now send another command.
G1 X123.456789012 Y123.456789012 Z123.456789012 E123.4 // FIFO=[61,59,57,55]. No space for next command, since sum(FIFO)=232. Some time passes.
>> ok // FIFO=[59,57,55]. Can now send another command.
G1 X123.456789012 Y123.456789012 Z123.456789012 E123.4 // FIFO=[59,57,55,55]. Host has no more commands.
>> ok // FIFO=[57,55,55]. Host has no more commands.
>> ok // FIFO=[55,55]. Host has no more commands.
>> ok // FIFO=[55] Host has no more commands.
>> ok // FIFO=[]. Host has no more commands.

This will keep the link fully utilized as long as the RX buffer of the printer is large enough. How large one might ask. Suppose that:

• You want to achieve the transmission speed S (bytes/second).
  • The time from when a command is processed by the firmware to when the host receives its 'ok' is at most Tack (seconds).
  • The maximum command length is L (bytes).

Without justification, I claim the RX buffer size needs to be at least RXneeded=L+Tack*S.

For example, if L=64B, S=25000B/s, Tack=0.01s, then RXneeded=314B.

Finally, some notes about RX buffer model:
  • In simple DMA-less implementations of UART in the firmware, it is easy to implement a byte-based ring buffer as assumed here.
  • On DMA based UART implementations, the buffer space may not be optimally used, so the simple model does not fit, due to e.g. memory alignment required by the DMA. In this case it may be useful for the host to not only limit the number of pending bytes, but also the number of pending commands.
  • When the communication link is USB CDC, the USB guarantees that no bytes will be lost if the printer is unable to accept them, even in the absence of such software based flow control algorithms. That is assuming the firmware is implemented right and starts refusing data with NAK responses instead of discarding it. But software flow control is still useful to make sure the link does not get saturated and can be used for other purposes than sending gcode. Most particularly this helps with the problem that some USB device implementations have a single RX buffer common to all receive endpoints, as opposed to the arrangement where each endpoint has its own RX buffer (and hence can do flow control independently).

On the other hand if we assume the link is not reliable, this will obviously break, and some more elaborate protocol needs to be used. I think the approach described above can be extended to provide some reliability. The host's FIFO could be made to hold actual commands that have been sent, not just their lengths, and these would serve for retransmissions, which would be done similarly to how TCP operates. But I think that before this can be done, a way to delimit commands needs to be devised which is reasonably resistant against transmission errors.

Commands could also be tagged with channel numbers, and the firmware could have multiple RX buffers, one for each channel. In particular there could be a data channel and a control channel, and this would ensure that control commands are responded to quickly even if the data channel buffer is full.

Edited 18 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 01:06PM by ambrop7.
March 02, 2014 03:22PM
I agree on data and control channel separation. That's something I desperately needed - I can't stand to have M105/M112 not responding while waiting for temperature to reach.

Your scheme doesn't address data corruption.
What if the command sent was corrupted? The host does not know if the command is received and working (D4/M116 will take a long time), or the command is not received properly such that firmware can't response with an ok.
The further question is what if the firmware response is corrupted.
March 02, 2014 05:00PM
sam0737
Your scheme doesn't address data corruption.
What if the command sent was corrupted? The host does not know if the command is received and working (D4/M116 will take a long time), or the command is not received properly such that firmware can't response with an ok.
The further question is what if the firmware response is corrupted.

Yes, I said that my basic protocol idea doesn't address that. It's just a way to get the max speed out of a as-long-as-you-dont-overrun-it-reliable link with no inherent flow control.

The problem is that if you want to do proper flow control (something like I describe) in combination with error detection and correction, the protocol can get quite complex, more so than if you only want to solve one problem (my solution which addresses flow control and yours which addresses transmission errors). I think it is a bad idea to try to be compatible with the existing gcode protocols, if a highly reliable and extensible protocol is the goal.

I have some ideas for the goals a properly designed protocol should achieve. The protocol should assume only a non-reliable serial link, which can be an UART or USB CDC (even if CDC is kind of reliable).

I believe it is the right approach to design the protocol in layers, where each layer relies on some properties of the lower layers.

The protocol should be symmetric with respect to both ends of communication, on all layers; sending data from host to printer should be identical to sending from printer to host. That being said, the protocol should consist of three protocols:

Lower-layer protocol.

Defines how each packet is encoded into a stream of bytes, and allows the receiver to reliably distinguish individual packets in the received stream. The lower layer protocol should have the following properties:

• Whenever a packet is transmitted without errors it should be recognized as such by the receiving side. This is absolute, it doesn't matter how much and what kind of curruption was preceding that packet.
  • If a packet is transmitted with errors, the receiving side should detect the corruption with a high probability. That is, there should be a low probability that the receiver recognizes a corrupt packet as valid.

Middle-layer protocol.

Provides a stream-based interface on top of the lower layer protocol. It should have the following properties:

• The protocol should support separate channels (like TCP ports).
  • Each channel should provide a reliable stream interface. Here, reliable means the middle-layer protocol can assume that each packet sent on the lower layer is either received correctly by the other side, or not at all, and that no packet reordering happens.
  • If one or more of the channels is saturated (the sender has data to send but the receiver doesn't want any data), any other channels should continue to operate normally.
  • The protocol should allow optimal utilization of the link speed (i.e. what my previous flow control suggestion provides).

Higher-layer protocol.

This runs on top of a channel of the middle-layer protocol. As inefficient as that would be, It can even be the existing defacto gcode protocol (with line numbers and checksums and ok), and if one implements the higher-layer protocol as a virtual serial port, it would work with unmodified host software. Or it can be simple newline separated gcode without any error checking. It could also be my packed g-code encoding.

Now I want some suggestions for protocols satisfying these requirements. I also have some ideas of my own but I'll let others speak first winking smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 05:23PM by ambrop7.
March 03, 2014 04:41AM
I agree with layered approach. Or at least we should think in layers. Separated channels.

> Whenever a packet is transmitted without errors it should be recognized as such by the receiving side.
I don't agree. The either thing could get lost - Maybe the UART TTL line is simple disconnected, maybe the firmware hangs.
The host must be able to recognize this without confusing with lack of activity in high level means (like waiting for G4), maybe due to the lack of response from the firmware.

About compatibility with existing protocols: Less code changes means adoption would be easier and faster. Though it's not a must of the design.

I skim through your packed gcode, which is fine and great for the highest layer (So does repetier's binary protocol).
Yet there are rooms of improvement for lower and middle layer
March 03, 2014 06:07AM
sam0737
> Whenever a packet is transmitted without errors it should be recognized as such by the receiving side.
I don't agree. The either thing could get lost - Maybe the UART TTL line is simple disconnected, maybe the firmware hangs.
The host must be able to recognize this without confusing with lack of activity in high level means (like waiting for G4), maybe due to the lack of response from the firmware.

You misunderstood that, and I worded it a bit wrong. I meant that when it is received without errors, it should be recognized as a valid packet. Contrast to the existing situation where a corrupted newline will lead to the next line being not understood as correct. Same goes for my other point about the lower layer protocol.

A simple way to ensure that is to reserve a special start of packet character that is guaranteed never to appear in the payload (e.g. by some sort of escaping). Possibly in combination with an end of packet character.

sam0737
Yet there are rooms of improvement for lower and middle layer.

I haven't yet said exactly what the protocols for these should be, I just made some suggestions about what they need to achieve.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 06:09AM by ambrop7.
March 03, 2014 06:13AM
Another note, when one has a reliable stream abstraction, the "ok" responses no longer serve any purpose for flow control. But instead of eliminating them, we could say that the printer can, optionally, send the "ok" responses in real time as commands are physically executed by the printer (or it can just keep the existing semantic, send ok when it's buffered). This would give a very accurate print progress in the host software.
March 03, 2014 12:53PM
Right. Currently the "ok" has dual functions - flow control and notification of command completion. In reality these two events doesn't happen together, they don't depend on each other. This "ok" must be redesigned.
March 14, 2014 08:03AM
A few things come to mind:

• Developing an entire new firmware a last resort at best. There are so many details to get right you don't really want this. It would take years to get on par with existing firmwares.
  • A port of Teacup to ChibiOS exists already, done by bobc: [github.com] . I didn't pick it for general Teacup because especially in ATmega based CPUs, every single clock cycle is cruicial and Teacup already has sort of an compile-time abstraction layer - see arduino.h.
  • It shouldn't be too difficult to implement G4 similarly to M116. If G4s go into the movement queue, the firmware continues to respond. Typically, a not responding G4 doesn't matter much, though, temperature control continues to work anyways.
  • If you consider the serial link to be reliable, the most simple way to achieve maximum throughput is to use the already implemented XON/XOFF protocol. The "ok" response is redundant, then. Some people actually print by just sending the G-code file down the serial line, without a host.
  • Accepting non-movement commands like M105 while the queue is full can be handled on the host side only, because the firmware would have to trash a command when a movement command comes in while the queue is full. Without trashing, it would just delay the problem by one line of G-code.
  • I've put some thoughts into faster communications already. The result was having an "ok" along with a small bit of information about how many space is left in the movement queue. With an adjusted host, this would allow to send multiple commands at once and also to keep room for non-movement commands like M105: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login