September 11, 2010 02:05AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For example, each movement initially has to expect
> a full stop. There's no guarantee a follow-up
> movement will come in. So you have to rework
> already queued movements. How about movements
> already being processed?

We would have to set end speed and do some of the calculations in dda_start for this to work, or work on previous queue item in enqueue if the math is too big for dda_start. I don't think we can reasonably avoid a ramp down and back up on the first move and occasionally after that, but not doing it every time but still having it happen when appropriate will be awesome.

> Also, each blending unavoidably results in
> geometric errors[*]. How do you estimate
> geometrical error vs. ramp steepness vs. number of
> blended steps?

each move has a definite number of steps. I don't think we need to be precise with speed as long as positional accuracy is maintained. The steppers should handle small disjoints in speed between moves from the inevitably imperfect math. I wasn't foreseeing blending steps, rather simply finishing each move at the start speed of the next move.

> If anybody has seen an implementation, please tell
> me.

The dda code I wrote is a start- it uses the algorithm from that lovely article, but refactored to take a start and end speed and a number of moves and work out the appropriate loop variables. I'll see what I can do when I have some time for it.

I apologise if you felt I was dropping the responsibility for this feature on you, rather my intention was to get a discussion going about how to best do it so we get the best of all worlds regarding acceleration smiling smiley

emt Wrote:
---------------------------
> If any one has this working with a thermistor extruder and thermistor bed I would like to get hold of a copy. I would like to implement this on a mega. My Arduino programming knowledge is such that I should be able to make the required pin changes but not much more at this stage.

there's currently no code for thermistors but I do want to have it in there. I can probably shoehorn some of it from the official firmware and expand the start I've made on an analog input subsystem but you'll have to test it for me as I don't have any thermistors to play with. You could always get your hands dirty if you don't want to wait for me to get around to it winking smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Re: Project: FiveD on Arduino
September 11, 2010 12:52PM
Hey,

I just created the "gen3" branch available on the github site. This branch works on the stock mendel electronics!

I will be porting over some more of the recent changes between the two branches as soon as I have time in the next few days.

For now, if you have stock electronics, you should be good to go. The gen3 branch supports a thermistor, heater, and extruder plugged into the extruder board, and the rest of the logic on the motherboard. It uses the same wiring for controller extruder steps as the "official" 5D firmware.
September 11, 2010 12:56PM

I apologise if you felt I was dropping the responsibility for this feature on you

In open source there is no responsibility, so no such feeling was taken :-)

After drawing even more bizarre figures on paper I think I get a clearer view on how this has to work:

1. Even with look ahead, ramping is done for the fast axis (the one with the most steps) only. No need to take other axes into account here.

2. While ramping, the bresenham deltas (dda->x_delta, dda->y_delta, ...) have to be adjusted gradually to match those expected by the next move.

3. The point where the "handshake" is, i.e. where calculations get handed over to the next move, is the average in terms of fast axis speed and deltas. This will offer best geometrical accuracy as well as solve the situation where the fast axis change between moves.

Markus

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 11, 2010 01:13PM
Jakepoz, great to hear that. My electronics is also "stock", but Generation 2, so no secondary board. smiling smiley

If you could merge this thermistor stuff over to the master branch, emt would probably hug you smiling smiley

September 11, 2010 09:48PM
Traumflug Wrote:
> After drawing even more bizarre figures on paper I
> think I get a clearer view on how this has to
> work:
>
> 1. Even with look ahead, ramping is done for the
> fast axis (the one with the most steps) only. No
> need to take other axes into account here.
>
> 2. While ramping, the bresenham deltas
> (dda->x_delta, dda->y_delta, ...) have to be
> adjusted gradually to match those expected by the
> next move.
>
> 3. The point where the "handshake" is, i.e. where
> calculations get handed over to the next move, is
> the average in terms of fast axis speed and
> deltas. This will offer best geometrical accuracy
> as well as solve the situation where the fast axis
> change between moves.
>
>
> Markus

I was thinking about this last night too- in order for hand-over ramping to work properly, we need to do trigonometry otherwise a move followed by a move in the opposite direction will cause the steppers to slam into reverse and probably skip steps, and while that's a worst case scenario even with a 90 degree turn we're asking one stepper to stop dead while the other goes from zero to full speed, totally missing the point of ramping.

SO, in order to do the smoothing I was envisaging, we need a separate accelerator for each motor while maintaining positional accuracy between them. Personally I think we can shelve that for the time being and work on expanding the number of electrical and mechanical configurations that this firmware supports. We'll leave it to the gcode generator to consolidate similar moves together.

Anyone following this have a mega, and enough knowhow to update arduino.h (and anything else that needs to change) to suit?

ps: I had a chance to play with your changes last night traumflug, the ramping is awesome, as is the xon/xoff flow control. I was able to cat afile.gcode > /dev/arduino and it didn't miss a beat! smiling smiley I also noticed that this firmware /still/ fits onto a '168 with debugging turned off! (although my arduino has been upgraded to a '328 due to a nasty incident involving the combination of a short circuit and the 5vsb and 12v lines of my psu)

I also had to patch the ftdi_sio driver in my kernel. as of 2.6.35 they've redone quite a lot of the driver and it now resets the arduino every time the port is opened regardless of hup setting. patch attached for those affected: ftdi_sio_dtr_hup_fix.patch

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 12, 2010 05:29AM

I was able to cat afile.gcode > /dev/arduino and it didn't miss a beat!

That's what it's supposed to do smiling smiley smiling smiley

in order for hand-over ramping to work properly, we need to do trigonometry otherwise a move followed by a move in the opposite direction will cause the steppers to slam into reverse and probably skip steps, and while that's a worst case scenario even with a 90 degree turn we're asking one stepper to stop dead while the other goes from zero to full speed, totally missing the point of ramping.

SO, in order to do the smoothing I was envisaging, we need a separate accelerator for each motor while maintaining positional accuracy between them.

Yes, we should check acceleration for each axis individually. We should also check against maximum speed for each axis individually. Lots of details to do smiling smiley

This "fast axis"/bresenham stuff works within one octant, only. Everything crossing the border of an octant is, well, different.

Personally I think we can shelve that for the time being and work on expanding the number of electrical and mechanical configurations that this firmware supports.

As I don't have any of this hardware, I can't help much here. However, such developments should nicely go along in parallel.

September 12, 2010 05:37AM
P.S.: There's a gentleman who thought about running each axis individually. Finding the next timer interval would likely be a bit tricky, but doable. However I currently don't see how this could ease transition from one movement to the next.

September 12, 2010 06:42PM
I already pushed a simple check for speeds, only limits to MAX_Z if it's a z axis move and MAX_X otherwise so it ignores Y and E for the time being.

that article looks like a good read- maybe time for a branch to implement that algo in the dda. Would be excellent if it'll still fit on a '168 smiling smiley

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 13, 2010 11:01AM
From the most recent machine.h:

#ifndef ACCELERATION_RAMPING
#define ACCELERATION_REPRAP
#endif

Hmm. It would be perfectly fine to use neither of both acceleration types. I even tested running without any acceleration.

September 13, 2010 08:29PM
I am trying to port the RepRap firmware for ARM Cortex-M3... but I am having problems because of Arduino libs and C Lib I have. Luckly I have JTAG debug which helps me a lot ;-)

I like your code, it's more easy to me to understand and hack.

What are the disadvantages of your code when compared with "official" one? does the print quality is worst or something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 08:45PM by casainho.

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

[www.3dprinting-r2c2.com]
September 14, 2010 02:01AM
FWIW: I just sent Triffid_Hunter some Epcos B57540G0104J thermistors to play with, so he can test the thermistor code.

Note: They're actually from RS, and the specs are here: Epcos B57540G0104J @ RS - Seem identical to the ones listed on the thermistor wiki page, but a slightly different part number.
emt
September 14, 2010 04:53AM
Hi

Great news that the thermistor may be added to the code. Could the code be structured so that a thermistor can be used for both Extruder and Bed?

With regard to acceleration as far as I can make out nearly every body that uses Skeinforge to generate their 5D G code for a Mendel turns acceleration off in the official firmware as it causes problems with the way the code is interpreted. Not using it has not caused any reported problems with actual part creation.

I had a repstrap and I had to use acceleration to get any performance at all. I used EMC for control. Because the axes had acceleration (quite slow at that) I got excess plastic at the corners so I switched to 5D code so the extruder had acceleration as well. This solved the build up problem but production was painfully slow, a tenth of Mendel. So I have just about completed a Mendel. I used a Mega because the Pololu drives were the cheapest electronics. I was hoping to use the Host so that any experience may help the community at large.

I have to say that I do miss the total control that EMC gave me and I have thought of building an inerface to the Pololu drives so I can use EMC on the Mendel.

Regards

Ian
September 14, 2010 05:34AM
I am using 5D (original RepRap Mendel firmware) with acceleration and I like it. Seems to work good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 05:35AM by casainho.

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

September 14, 2010 06:04AM
casainho Wrote:
> I like your code, it's more easy to me to
> understand and hack.

thanks smiling smiley One of the reasons I wrote this was to understand and improve on the official firmware, and I tried to allow others to do the same without compromising the functionality- good to hear I had some success at this!

> What are the disadvantages of your code when
> compared with "official" one? does the print
> quality is worst or something?

only disadvantages I know of is that it's far less thoroughly tested, and doesn't yet support a diverse range of hardware configurations. I hear that some have done full prints with it, but no concrete posts about it yet.

If the print quality was worse, it wouldn't be following the gcode properly which would be a major bug! With properly tuned PID parameters on the heater it may even be better...

As for advantages, it's smaller, faster, apparently loses less data and is easier to read winking smiley

I'm sure some of the other contributors have their own stories as to what they like and dislike about this alternative firmware, and why they're contributing what they are!

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 14, 2010 06:32AM
still thinking about the best way to handle multiple temperature sensors and heaters.. maybe a generic driver block and an array of heater/thermistor pairs? maybe just hard-code for two? How do we sensibly put pins in an array?

I think it's safe to say that most heaters will have an associated thermistor, so heater and thermistor code can remain closely linked.

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 14, 2010 06:48AM

I think it's safe to say that most heaters will have an associated thermistor, so heater and thermistor code can remain closely linked.

There are different types of temperature measuring devices which need different code. The other is called "thermocouple", AFAIK.

September 14, 2010 06:57AM
and a third called ad595! (and who knows what else will turn up?)

excuse my descriptional laziness, hopefully the code will be better smiling smiley

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 14, 2010 07:34AM
Triffid_Hunter Wrote:

What are the external libs you are using? just AVR-LIBC?

I am having problems with ARM toolchain libc... but I have Serial.print() (and other Serial methods working).

I may switch to your code, the disadvantage "and doesn't yet support a diverse range of hardware configurations" it's not for me, as I want to focus just on one hardware, which I will provide commercially so users don't need to mess around, although as OpenSource, everyone can hack, with the USB Mass Storage Device bootloader (working as USB flash disk).

---

September 14, 2010 07:48AM
There is (almost) no library usage at all. Just the bare metal.

emt
September 14, 2010 08:51AM
Hi Casainho

Are you using Skeinforge to create the code you use with the original RepRap Mendel firmware? My understanding is that it is the code format created by Skeinforge (which is valid G code) causes problems due to the way the acceleration has been implemented.

Regards

Ian
September 14, 2010 09:00AM
Traumflug Wrote:
> There is (almost) no library usage at all. Just
> the bare metal.

But mendel.c inclues:

#include	stddef.h
#include	stdint.h
#include	string.h

I guess it's header files for a avr-libc, right?

My problem is getting a working libc for ARM...

emt Wrote:
> Are you using Skeinforge to create the code you
> use with the original RepRap Mendel firmware? My
> understanding is that it is the code format
> created by Skeinforge (which is valid G code)
> causes problems due to the way the acceleration
> has been implemented.

Hmm, I am not using the latest RepRap firmware. And yes, I am using Skeinforge.

But even my Mendel is broken now - the extruder, next 2 weeks I may have it working again. But I plain to use it to test and develop this new electronics based on ARM Cortex-M3 @ 100MHz.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 09:04AM by casainho.

---

September 14, 2010 01:47PM

But mendel.c inclues:

#include stddef.h
#include stdint.h
#include string.h

I've just removed that, it was unused.

I guess it's header files for a avr-libc, right?

It's the stuff coming with the Arduino IDE, so yes, avr-libc.

September 14, 2010 02:17PM

My understanding is that it is the code format created by Skeinforge (which is valid G code) causes problems due to the way the acceleration has been implemented.

It's a mismatch between what Skeinforge sends and what RepRap GCode expects. As a result, the Z axis (threaded rod driven) tries to move at X-Y-axis (belt driven) speeds which doesn't work.

Firmware's only fault here is to not limit the speed of the Z axis to something working, but below of what Skeinforge commands. Triffid has just these days sent an implementation of such a limit enforcement.

September 14, 2010 05:59PM
Traumflug Wrote:
> I've just removed that, it was unused.

Good. There are other files with them.

Who are the ones developing and testing this code?

Later I would like to have beta tester of my electronics, if I ever produce them. I would love to provide the electronics to the developers of this code, at a small cost.

It's really good that the code do not use any Lib -- that will easy a lot the build of toolchain with(out) C Lib :-)

---

September 14, 2010 07:15PM
What is for the code on "copier.c" and "copier.h" files?

About PID values, is the RepRap Mendel software/firmware using a GCode to save that values on hardware/firmware? if not, what others softwares do it?

---

September 15, 2010 04:59AM

Who are the ones developing and testing this code?

That's Triffid, me and now you.

About PID values

What's "PID"?

VDX
September 15, 2010 05:10AM
Traumflug Wrote:
> What's "PID"?

PID = Proportional+Integral+Differential = values for the temperature-controller

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 16, 2010 03:18AM
casainho Wrote:
> but mendel.c inclues:
>
> #include stddef.h
> #include stdint.h
> #include string.h
>
> I guess it's header files for a avr-libc, right?

they're generic headers that all C libraries provide, not specific to avr. The avr-specific ones look like #include <avr/blahblah.h> and they're used for architecture-specific things like interrupts and I/O handling.

> My problem is getting a working libc for ARM...

uclibc should work fine on ARM, or maybe klibc if uclibc is too big. No idea about doing I/O or accessing interrupts, you may have to write some of that yourself with datasheet in hand if you can't find it anywhere else.

> What is for the code on "copier.c" and "copier.h"
> files?

that's an idea I've been entertaining whereby the chip can program another similar chip without needing a PC.. just another step towards self-replication smiling smiley

> About PID values, is the RepRap Mendel
> software/firmware using a GCode to save that
> values on hardware/firmware? if not, what others
> softwares do it?

no idea about other firmwares, but this one uses M130-M133 to manipulate PID values and M134 saves them to eeprom. No support for multiple heaters yet, but that's currently being discussed since the heated bed has become so popular.

Traumflug Wrote:
> What's "PID"?

PID without a PhD - a critical algorithm for getting fine temperature control

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 16, 2010 03:40AM
hey all, just pushed a new branch called "temporal_step" in response to this article. On first, second and third reading I simply didn't get what he was doing, so I wrote my own. The perl script is the main part at the moment, but I've had a go at plugging it into dda.c.

As usual, it's totally untested winking smiley

I'm still baffled as to how to add acceleration/ramping to this algorithm without bucketloads of fancy math that we simply don't have space for, any help would be much appreciated!

At my best guess, we need to grab the timer value from the ramping algorithm and scale it by the result of this one, requiring at least a multiply and divide every step which would violate the design goals of this firmware. Surely there's a better way?

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 16, 2010 08:09AM

if (dda->x_steps)
dda->x_time_counter += dda->c;
if (dda->y_steps)
dda->y_time_counter += dda->c;
if (dda->z_steps)
dda->z_time_counter += dda->c;
if (dda->e_steps)
dda->e_time_counter += dda->c;

I think you should drop all the if()'s here. If you do a step on the X axis, time passes for the other axes as well ...

... which leads me to the reason why I think this is algorithm is difficult to implement: imagine a movement at an angle of near 45 degrees: X axis should do 1000 steps, Y axis should do 999 steps.

Now you set the timer to 1/1000 = 0.001tu (tu = time units) and do the step. So far so good.

Looking at the Y axis, the first step is to be done at 1/999 = 0.001001001001u. As time passes for all axes the same, you'll have just 0.000001tu available for firing the next timer event after doing the X step, and doing an Y step. Likely, you can't match such a tight timing requirement, and there are situations where it can become arbitrarily tighter.

One solution would be to get hold of four independent timers, one for each axis. Additionally you'd have to make sure each timer interrupt is handled regardless of wether they fire at almost the same time. Currently I don't see how this would work reliably on an AVR chip, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Regarding acceleration, you'd have to calculate the initial parameters for each axis individually and in a manner which leads to synchronized movements. That means, low acceleration for the slow axes and steep acceleration for the fastest axis.

Any loss in algorithmical or numerical accuracy will not only lead to time/speed errors like in our bresenham implementation, but also to geometrical errors.

Have fun smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login